Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp and RouteMaps for a preferred route for host

PLC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! Hope everyone is well

Goal: to route this src and dst file transfer traffic out the larger circuit egress ingress and if that hop fails to use the other two circuits dynamically. I want to leave any other traffic alone and let it route the way it's dynamically routing. appreciate the help!

Issue:

Large file transfers are extremely slow and saturating the circuit eigrp defaults to using, the circuit with the least bandwidth (20mbps) ISP2 back to headquarters when there is a total of 3 different circuits: ISP1 30mbps, ISP2 20mbps, and ISP3 150mbps. That being said, I have  added delay to ISP1 and ISP 2 interfaces to manipulate the route to choose the 150mbps ISP3 at the remote location, which worked for outgoing (egress)traffic only. That still didnt help the ingress traffic... the traffic came back the same circuit slower circuit. 

I have attached a visio diagram that shows network setup between remote location and headquarters core. We are using eigrp as our routing protocol. 

Question:

What would be the best way to achieve setting up the host (src and dst) for this specific file transfer from remote to headquarter\headquarter to remote to use the larger circuit without disrupting the rest of the default traffic flow? I was looking at route-maps, but 1. if the circuit or next hop goes down i would like for it to use any other circuit.

If i use a route-map to not advertise the two slower circuits does that mean if the next hop fails 

on the larger circuit will eigrp default to start advertising the next best route and route? and therefore, use the other circuits? I dont care if other traffic uses all three circuits i just want to make sure the file transfer src and dst use the larger the circuit for both ingress and egress. Here is what i got so far:

config-router#
router eigrp (AS)
distribute-list route-map FILTER_OUT out

config#route-map Filter_OUT deny 10
match IP address host VideoFile

RemoteRTR(config)#ip access-list standard VideoFile
RemoteRTR(config-std-nacl)#permit host 10.8.131.118 0.0.0.255

RemoteRTR(config)#route-map FILTER_OUT permit 20
RemoteRTR(config-route-map)#exit

router eigrp (AS)
network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
distribute-list route-map FILTER_OUT out Gi0/3
distribute-list route-map FILTER_OUT out Gi0/2

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello PLC,

>> I have added delay to ISP1 and ISP 2 interfaces to manipulate the route to choose the 150mbps ISP3 at the remote location, 

Do the same at HQ router(s) to have symmetric routing

Then use PBR or offset-lists for selected prefixes to use the other links.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

If I am understanding the original post correctly 2 sites are connected using 3 ISP so there are 3 paths which could carry traffic. There is routing implemented that handles most of the traffic and the desire is to not change this traffic. But there is traffic between a host at one site to a host at the other site that they would like to forward on a different path. And they want that specific traffic to use normal routing if the alternate path is not working. I do not see how you could achieve this by manipulating EIGRP. One possible solution (that would sort of work) would be for each site to configure a /32 static route to the remote host and to configure IP SLA to track access over the alternate path and to withdraw the static route if the path has a problem. I say it would sort of work because it would send the desired traffic over the alternate path, but it would also send any other traffic that had the remote host as the destination. Note that will would require configuration on both sites. I believe that the optimum solution would be to implement Policy Based Routing. PBR uses a route map with an access list to identify traffic to have different forwarding to the destination. So it could match the specific hosts as source and destination, and could even specify protocol port numbers if you want to be very specific about what traffic is handled. And there is an option for verify-availability which tracks availability of that next hop and if that next hop is not available then the traffic would use normal forwarding. Here is a discussion which describes verify-availability

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/pbr-and-verify-availability/td-p/3321623

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card