Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Routing over MPLS VPN Link

Jacob Samuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I need a kind help on the routing side.

I have a customer with a central office and 10 branches on the ntework. On the central office i use a 7206VXR Router. And at Branches 2821 Router.

HQ to Branch is planning to run on MPLS VPN connection. I want to run internally EIGRP Routing Protocol.

HQ network will 192.168.0.0 255.255.128.0

Branches -

1) 192.168.130.0 /24

2) 192.168.131.0 /24 ....

up to 139.0 /24

is it possible to run EIGRP in this scenario? Is it correct with the Branch network reange i choose?

If I can run EIGRP on this case, how i will redistribute the EIGRP Network in to BGP and viseversa?

What did the Telco mean MPLS-VPN connection ? Do i have to create VPN Tunnel on the Routers?

Appreciate your kind support

Thanks & Regards

1 Reply 1

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Jacob:

An MPLS VPN defines an architecture and a set of routing and switching protocols that allows a private enterprise to extend its network across a public domain. Your headquarters building represents a private network that must exhchange routing information and actual user data with your remote sites. The remote sites are private networks that belong to your domain, too.

MPLS allows you to extend your routing domain and use the service provider's Layer 3 network as if it were your own, so to speak. You can route data from private RFC 1918 addresses at each end over a public domain shared by many of the service provider's clients. Furthermore, you can have direct remote site-to-remote site (spoke-to-spoke, so to speak) communication and not have to go through the hub. This is commonly referred to in marketing circles as any-to-any connectivity.

To you, it seems like it's private. None other of the service provider's clients see your routing information nor do they have any knowledge of your topology. So, a VPN is set up per client, and a client can use more than one VPN. Moreover, routes learned from one VPN can be shared by another to facilitate inter-VPN traffic..

You can peer with the service provider using BGP at the CE (customer edge router -- yours) router at the headquarters and the remote sites. And you can then redistribute those BGP-learned prefixes into your IGP, like EIGRP.

You can also run EIGRP, OSPF or RIPv2 with the service provider. The most common application is BGP, though. OSPF presents many complications with routing metrics.

HTH

Victor

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card