cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp Topology All-Links | All Possible links not shown !

rahul nair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I was wondering what would be the reason, for the command  "show ip eigrp topology all-links"  to NOT show all possible links .

Scenario :

I have Eigrp running between two core switches and two routers . The routers receive information about outside routes through BGP which in turn are redistributed into EIGRP.

• The EIGRP neighbhourship is over a Broadcast network using VLAN 1.
  • The neighbhouship is  in the in the form of a "mesh" , in which all devices are in neighbhourship with all other devices .

Attaching a rough diagram of the topology here .

The prefix that i am trying to reach is, for instance 10.66.30.0 . 

The output of "show ip eigrp topology all-links"  from Core #1 is :

P 10.66.30.0/24, 1 successors, FD is 5370112, tag is 65000, serno 110740
        via 10.137.128.254 (5370112/5369856), Vlan1

Why does not it show the other path through Core #2 ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Rahul,

Sorry for my lack of understanding , but is there an option for eigrp to show the next hop as 10.138.128.2 rather than the same next hop ? 

EIGRP, like all internal gateway protocols (RIP, OSPF, IS-IS), constructs routing tables using the immediate next hop, unlike BGP in which the next hop is usually a far-end IP address requiring recursive routing lookup. This is the basic principle of all internal routing protocols - the next hops are the immediate neighboring routers, not far-away devices. While there is an option of having EIGRP router A tell router B that the next hop toward a particular network is router C, but even in this case, all routers A, B, and C must be in the same IP network and thus connected on a common network segment.

So, no, in EIGRP, the next hops will always be indicated as the immediate neighbors of your router. The same goes for OSFP, RIP, and IS-IS.

And are there any disadvantages of disabling the Split horizon rule ?

Split Horizon rule was invented to prevent routing loops from occurring. In EIGRP, there are additional checks performed to make sure that a routing loop never occurs, so the loop prevention provided by the Split Horizon is not really useful. However, even so, the Split Horizon helps you optimize the set of routes maintained in EIGRP topology tables. Without Split Horizon, EIGRP topology tables will hold all routes advertised by all neighbors, even by those whose path leads back to us. These entries are not harmful to EIGRP but they are useless, occupy extra memory and require processing whose effort is ultimately wasted. When running EIGRP on Non Broadcast Multi Access (NBMA) networks such as Frame Relay or DMVPN where only a subset of routers has direct visibility to each other, deactivating Split Horizon is often required. However, on all other network types, deactivating Split Horizon is not outspokenly harmful but at the same time, it provides no benefits worth the added effort.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rahul,

The output of "show ip eigrp topology all-links"  from Core #1 is :

P 10.66.30.0/24, 1 successors, FD is 5370112, tag is 65000, serno 110740

Why does not it show the other path through Core #2 ?

Most probably, this is because Core #2 is using Core #1 as its own next hop. Because EIGRP uses Split Horizon with Poisoned Reverse, Core #2 will advertise this network back to Core #1 with an infinite metric. This will cause Core #1 to remove it from the topology table altogether.

Would this fit your scenario?

Best regards,
Peter

I think yes. 

By the way, below is the output from Core #2 for  "show ip eigrp topology all-links | beg 10.66.30.0"

P 10.66.30.0/24, 1 successors, FD is 5370112, tag is 65000, serno 656362

Sorry for my lack of understanding , but is there an option for eigrp to show the next hop as 10.138.128.2 rather than the same next hop ? 

Like in bgp we have a "next-hop-self" and an "update source" command. Do we have a similar type of option in EIGRP ?

Hi Rahul,

EIGRP, like all internal gateway protocols (RIP, OSPF, IS-IS), constructs routing tables using the immediate next hop, unlike BGP in which the next hop is usually a far-end IP address requiring recursive routing lookup. This is the basic principle of all internal routing protocols - the next hops are the immediate neighboring routers, not far-away devices. While there is an option of having EIGRP router A tell router B that the next hop toward a particular network is router C, but even in this case, all routers A, B, and C must be in the same IP network and thus connected on a common network segment.

So, no, in EIGRP, the next hops will always be indicated as the immediate neighbors of your router. The same goes for OSFP, RIP, and IS-IS.

Split Horizon rule was invented to prevent routing loops from occurring. In EIGRP, there are additional checks performed to make sure that a routing loop never occurs, so the loop prevention provided by the Split Horizon is not really useful. However, even so, the Split Horizon helps you optimize the set of routes maintained in EIGRP topology tables. Without Split Horizon, EIGRP topology tables will hold all routes advertised by all neighbors, even by those whose path leads back to us. These entries are not harmful to EIGRP but they are useless, occupy extra memory and require processing whose effort is ultimately wasted. When running EIGRP on Non Broadcast Multi Access (NBMA) networks such as Frame Relay or DMVPN where only a subset of routers has direct visibility to each other, deactivating Split Horizon is often required. However, on all other network types, deactivating Split Horizon is not outspokenly harmful but at the same time, it provides no benefits worth the added effort.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter ,

Thanks . I think i get it now . 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card