cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Employer owned router

peski6051
Level 1
Level 1

My employer set me up with a full home office including laptop, router and modem.  They also pay for the internet connection with a local provider.  They allow my family to connect our personal devices to the wireless router.  Is my employer able to see the things my family is doing on the internet with our personal devices while they are connected to the company owned router.  My kids are at that age where they surf crazy stuff.  I am not looking to get into trouble and lose my job. 

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It should be outlined in a policy somewhere,  but if it's not,  assume they are watching and yes we can see what you're doing.  

Hello

I would say it depends on how you are connected at the time?

Your local isp I guess can monitor your web browsing when your NOT connected to your company network just like all of us do when we use our home internet service.

But  when vpn'd into your company then I would say then your company can monitor your activities via there Firewalls/Proxys etc...

res

Paul 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

WORK laptop is only used for work a few hours a day and that actually has to stay hooked up via LAN, I am not allowed to use it any other way.  PERSONAL devices are the devices that I was inquiring about.  Is it like you say, they are just using the router as an access point to the local ISP.  

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Think of your ISP, they too can examine all your traffic passing in/out your home.  Likewise, as Collin has mentioned, your company can examine all the traffic passing through their router.  (Will they, that depends on company policy - most likely they won't, but they could.)

If you want privacy, you need to use encryption at your hosts.  Even then, your ISP and your company can record the source/destination and volume statistics.

PS:

BTW, there are devices sold to companies that can "see" the content of most HTTPS traffic, as such traffic passes in or out of the company.

PPS:

If you're really worried about the antics of your children, there are applications that will allow you to examine what they are doing and/or get another, and personal, ISP link for them (then you only need to worry about the ISP, FBI, NSA, etc., snooping your children's traffic).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card