Replies

equal cost load balancing

TimeOut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guy

I have any question about equal cost load balancing 

I have a scenario you can see here >>> https://www.img.in.th/image/T6YnIs

So i need to know this case if PC request to web server via R1 > R2 > R3 > R4   then the web server  reply back to client via 

R4 > R6 > R5 and R1    is there effect with application , voice , video or tcp session  whatever ... or it's not effective for this scenario 

Please shred your exp to us

thank for answer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

Some applications do not work properly with asymmetric routing. That being said, almost all applications work fine with asymmetric routing. We do asymmetric traffic out to the internet and have no issues at all. I have seen where Microsoft Teams did not like asymmetric traffic over a private network and that is the most recent issue I have come across regarding asymmetric traffic.

Things to consider:

Are there access-list on one side of the routers and not the other side.

Is there a firewall not depicted in the diagram that only effects one side.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

Some applications do not work properly with asymmetric routing. That being said, almost all applications work fine with asymmetric routing. We do asymmetric traffic out to the internet and have no issues at all. I have seen where Microsoft Teams did not like asymmetric traffic over a private network and that is the most recent issue I have come across regarding asymmetric traffic.

Things to consider:

Are there access-list on one side of the routers and not the other side.

Is there a firewall not depicted in the diagram that only effects one side.

Thank for reply
and asymmetric routing effect with cisco WebEx ?

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hello 

this is called asymmetric routing .. where packets to and from destination take different paths

asymmetric routing in corporate network is usually bad .. you can search google for more on asymmetric routing and you will find a lot of info 

hope this helps 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card