Sekug
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an issue with an ASR 1002-X. When it starts to boot I get an error

"media drive bootflash: not present

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "bootflash:"

autoboot: boot failed, restarting..."

This will repeat itself 12 times then boot into rommon mode.

I've tried to upgrade the IOS but it can't upgrade due to the integrity of the bootflash needing to be checked. Since there isn't any device detected for bootflash after the upgrade it just restarts back to the same error at the beginning. Also while the upgrade starts the image is validated. I have checked the hash for the upgrade file against cisco file and it matches. I'm not getting any corrupted image errors. I can post the boot up process and the upgrade process if needed. If anyone has any hints to help me here please post a response.

Regards,

Sekug

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Someone has removed the flash.  

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Sekug
Level 1
Level 1

Also I have noticed on the board that there is a spot for an eUSB card and it is missing. Just added information.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If it eventually boots into rommon I wonder if

tftpdnld 

might be a way to upgrade the code?

HTH

Rick

I have tried the

tftpdnld 

command in rommon. I get a response as command not found.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware is the router running on?  This is a known issue since 2015:  

The correct syntax should be: 

boot system flash bootflash:<FILENAME>.bin

LINK

When you ask firmware, do you mean the rommon version or the IOS? If it's the IOS there isn't a bootflash directory to view. So I don't believe it has IOS.

If the router is still in ROMMON, post the complete output to the following commands: 

1. dir flash:
  2. set

I apologize I'm not currently at the router, but I will post the output in the morning.

Also that bug report is for an ISR not an ASR, but it is the same problem.

@Sekug wrote:
Also that bug report is for an ISR not an ASR, but it is the same problem.

The Bug ID applies to all routers that run IOS-XE, hence, that particular thread is very long (because so many people have hit the same bug).

Oh thank you I'm still kind of new to this. This part is also missing on the board.

Someone has removed the flash.  

Could I buy this second hand? I don't have a cisco contract, so I'm not sure I can but from them directly. Or could I lookup the part number on cisco.com?

Talk to the person who supplied the router and ask them if they can read off the part number or SKU.

Ok thanks Leo!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card