Helpful
Replies

Error disable state.

s.ramesh41
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I got error like this.

May  5 08:09:13.821 EDT: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi2/0/8, putting Gi2/0/8 in err-disable state

May i know what is the loop back error here? its my standard access port for Data users

config:

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/8
description Authenticated Access Port
switchport access vlan 102
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 600
trust device cisco-phone
snmp trap mac-notification change added
snmp trap mac-notification change removed
storm-control broadcast level bps 5m
storm-control multicast level bps 5m
storm-control action shutdown
storm-control action trap
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree guard root

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI

What was connected into the port to cause this ?

its telling you it went errdisable to prevent a looped network causing even worse problems , so some kind of STP loop occurred

This will show if there was an STP change for that int or vlan

sh spanning-tree detail | i ieee|occurr|from|is exec

EDIT: Online DOC as its a known alert

One such error condition results from the existence of a loopback on the port. The switch sends keepalive packets out all interfaces. If a keepalive packet is received on the same interface it was sent from, then a loop exists that has not been blocked by Spanning-Tree Protocol. .

%ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Keepalive packet loop-back detected on FastEthernet0/3.
%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Fa0/3, putting Fa0/3 in err-disable state

To resolve the problem, you must investigate the network beyond the port that is complaining and discover what sort of logical loop might exist that was undetectable by STP. Often, less capable devices (inexpensive unmanaged switches or hubs) are the culprit.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card