cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel Standalone Status

csco11665954
Level 1
Level 1

I have a link between the data center and a client through two dark fibers. I have configured etherchannel lacp Active - Active.

When testing with the client disconnecting the links (one at a time) to see how the etherchannel behaved port side was disconnected showed "no connect" on the "show interface command" and the other side that kept the cable connected "connect" is displayed. The state of this port etherchannel was standalone (I).

I searched information to know the meaning and behavior of etherchannel in this state but I could not find details.

Anyone know where I can find information etherchannel states that meaning has to be in that state for channel usage.

best regards

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

standalone

The port is not bundled in an EtherChannel. The port functions as a standalone data port. The port can send and receive BPDUs and data traffic.

Note When one end of an EtherChannel has more members than the other, the unmatched ports enter the standalone state. In a topology that is not protected from Layer 2 loops by the spanning tree protocol (STP), a port in the standalone state can cause significant network errors. For LACP EtherChannels with Release 12.2(33)SXI3 and later releases, you can enter the port-channel standalone-disable interface configuration mode command to put ports into the suspended state instead of the standalone state. See the"Configuring LACP Port-Channel Standalone Disable" section.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/channel.html

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John.

Sorry for re-vamping an old thread...

I'm experiencing the situation where the Cisco Catalyst 2960X is suspending not only the port (which does not receive LACP PDUs, but is anyway active) but the whole EtherChannel!

Do you think that the "no port-channel standalone-disable" could help having the EtherChannel still run only on one port, until the other is back receiving LACP PDUs?

Thanks,

Flavio.

Quizás ya es muy tarde para responder pero servirá para otras personas con casos similares, yo presentaba el mismo problema cuando unos de los puertos del etherchannel queda en estado "stand-alone" el etherchannel dejaba de funcionar, no bajaba el etherchannel pero dejaba de reenviar tramas por el port-channel, lo que hice para solucionarlo fue dejar el protocolo en modo "non-silent", esto deja el puerto que baja en estado" w - waiting to be aggregated" y el switch baja completamente el puerto quedando "disabled", esto no pasa en el modo "I - stand-alone". finalmente se restablece el reenvío de tramas a través del port-channel. perdón por la explicación en español.

ejemplo:

channel-group 1 mode desirable non-silent - channel-group 1 mode auto non-silent

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card