Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet overhead on cisco routers in counters & shaping

Ahmed Dockrat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to get a definite answer around how cisco routers account for Ethernet overhead. Couldn't find any documentation to confirm how they handle it

Do the input/output rates & load counters on routers include Ethernet overhead

Do traffic shapers applied on an interface account for Ethernet overhead, example if I have a 10meg shaper would that mean 10meg plus over head or 10meg in total including ethernet overhead.

I'm working on a 2900 at the moment but would like to know how they work in general as well.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

On most platforms/IOSs, I don't believe shapers account for L2 overhead.  The reason I believe this, I found one platform/IOS that noted the shaper had the (special) feature of accounting for L2 overhead.

I don't know what the situation is for rate and load counters.

Perhaps the easiest method to find out would be to use a bandwidth tester, one that can push full line rate, against the ports and/or shaper you want to analyze.  While port or shaper is subject to full line load, examine stats.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card