Views
Helpful
Replies

Everest 16.6.2 BGP redistribute connected with route-map

Jacob Zartmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a bunch of ISR4321s running 3.16.2S. I recently upgraded a few of them to Everest (16.6.2) which has resulted in connected interfaces not getting redistributed into BGP when using a route-map with match interface like this:

route-map con2bgp
 match interface loopback0
!
router bgp 65001
 redistribute connected route-map con2bgp

After the upgrade connected interfaces are no longer redistributed into BGP. Looking a this very old document below, it says that it is unsupported, but this is the first software I see the feature not working and it makes me wonder.

Route-map Commands to Match Routes Installed into Routing Tables by Protocols

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

/JZ

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jacob,

try to use a prefix-list with match ip address prefix command.

To be honest I have never used the match interface with redistribute connected with BGP

Hope to help

Giuseppe Larosa

Hi,

Yes, this is what we did. I was just wondering if the match interface shouldn't work.

Hello Jacob,

I tried to make a search but I didn't find an update to the document that you have mentioned.

It looks like you have used up to now a combination of commands that shouldn't work but it worked for you with previous releases. A sort of "grey" case.

Taking in account that routes redistributed into BGP will take an origin attribute of incomplete '?' on Cisco routers, I prefer to use the network command for connected routes in order to have an 'i' origin code that is preferred over '?'.

Also I don't see any scalability advantage in the use of match interface as you would need a route-map block for each connected interface whose subnet you want to advertise.

The only real advantage of a similar setup would be that in case of change of IP addressing you would not need to change the network commands as you are matching on interfaces and not on IPv4 prefixes.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hts
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Test

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card