cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Force NETFLIX connections to use IPv4

Pderby
Level 1
Level 1

An IPv6 tunnel (Hurricane Electric) has been in place and working for years. US resident endpoint devices looking to connect to NETFLIX are routed to the IPv6 address where NETFLIX denies access to content since NETFLIX cannot determine if the endpoint is US based.  Is there a way to configure a CISCO 1921 router to fail IPv6 requests from this particular endpoint which has a fixed LAN IP address so the endpoint will request an IPv4 address?   The ISP is Verizon Business FIOS which does not support native IPv6, hence the HE IPv6 Tunnel is in place.  The endpoint is an APPLE TV that does not have a way to disable the IPv6 services.

1 Reply 1

that's an interesting challenge. Unfortunately, I didn't see any possibility using Cisco Router. I saw, however, an interesting approach in a blog where a guy used Linux as a router.

Linux has a command like this:

route add -net 2620:108:700f:: ::1 -reject

According to this guy, "Null routing will send an icmpv6 message back to the device telling them that the host is "unreachable" and the device can then fail over to using ipv4 (assuming you have a dual stack network running )"

I think he refers to ipv6 and not ipv4.

Here is the link for reference:

https://forums.he.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=g7k1iq0lkn8ghienuhd4qs264c&topic=3564.0

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Flavio Miranda

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card