Views
Helpful
Replies

FQDN-object groups...help needed

itsmemario
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

as i very recently figured out that a router (ISR4k, IOS-XE 17.09) finally supports FQDN-based objects it raised my hope i could use it to adjust the network, for helping us with our microsoft pain. Since you cannot be recent enough about their "to be unblocked" IP-lists, which are never complete.

The given challenge is as follows:
We have on lots of locations well defined access-lists, which we cannot just throw overboard because of ideas from the garage boys in Redmond.

My idea was that i could use the new feature in a way that it checks via ZBFW some FQDNs given by Microsoft, resolvable by DNS from the router itself, and after enabling communication to these, proceeds with working through the old access-lists with all the other restrictions.
But i seem not to understand how to use it properly.

Let´s do an example, so maybe you get better what i mean...as you can see, the hosts in this example shall not talk directly to outside, just ONE host, the proxy. In my example the 192.168.1.222.
My idea was to let ZBFW do the FQDN-work, making Microsoft-users happy, and still preserve the partly HUGE ACLs.

class-map type inspect match-any ALLOWED-FROM-OUTSIDE
match protocol tcp
match protocol udp
match protocol ntp
class-map type inspect match-any ALLOWED-PROTOCOLS
match protocol tcp
match protocol udp
match protocol ntp
!
object-group fqdn MICROSOFT-FQDNS
pattern .*\.microsoft\.com
pattern microsoft\.de
!
object-group service MICROSOFT-SERVICES
icmp
tcp eq 80
!
ip access-list extended ALLOW-MICROSOFT
permit object-group MICROSOFT-SERVICES any fqdn-group MICROSOFT-FQDNS
deny ip any any
!
class-map type inspect match-any ALLOW-MICROSOFT-CLASS
match access-group name ALLOW-MICROSOFT
!
policy-map type inspect WAN2INSIDE
class type inspect ALLOWED-FROM-OUTSIDE
inspect
class class-default
!
policy-map type inspect FIREWALL4MICROSOFT
class type inspect ALLOW-MICROSOFT-CLASS
inspect
class type inspect ALLOWED-PROTOCOLS
inspect class
class-default
drop
!
ip access-list extended WAN-IN
!
ip access-list extended LAN-IN
permit ip host 192.168.1.222 any
deny 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any
!
int gi1
ip access-group WAN-IN
zone-member security OUTSIDE
ip nat outside
!
int gi2
ip access-group LAN-IN
zone-member security INSIDE
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside

In my understanding ZBFW checks before the ACL is processed (?), and therefore it should be possible somehow to use the new FQDN-object-group to enable talking to the vast bunch of everchanging microsoft addresses, using the FQDNs.
I simply cannot make it work, i also tried to use the object-group in a normal ACL-line, i could put it in, but it had no effect and also no matches.

ip access-list extended LAN-IN
5 permit object-group MICROSOFT-SERVICES any fqdn-group MICROSOFT-FQDNS

Can someone give me a kick in the right direction, about what i am doing wrong here?

Many thanks in advance,

Andreas

19 Replies 19

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/ios-firewall/98628-zone-design-guide.html#toc-hId--32934812

Check this guide 

Url filtering 

I think this what you looking for

MHM

thanks for the hint! I think I´ll try this one then, even I´m wondering I didn't stumble over this in more than 20 years Cisco meanwhile.
But before I still want to try to get the FQDN-feature (with the object-group) somehow to work, didn´t have luck yet...fiddled around in my lab yesterday with CSR1000V don´t get what's wrong here

Try If you face issue let me know 

thanks 

MHM

OK, since you asked for it , I will show you my (IMO) absolutely dumbed down constellation for testing in the lab...including the topology and the configuration of my virtual CSR.
As you can see, I set up 4 Dockers which represent 4 web servers:

microsoft.de
teams.microsoft.com
o365.microsoft.com
dieanderen.de

On these docker containers I have Apache2 running.

As well I put another PC (upper left) directly in "the internet", to check if the webservers are available, avoiding some virtalization issues by doublechecking on this one.
The "internet" is simply a virtual 3725 with a NM16-ESW, routes, and so on. Also there is a loopback with 8.8.8.8 on it, acting as my name server, which works perfectly fine. Typical playground setup, as I would call it.

What I wanted to achieve with my config:
I can access microsoft.de, teams.microsoft.com, o365.microsoft.com, while dieanderen.de should be blocked.
Nope, I can still access all of the web servers from the virtual Win10 with 192.168.1.10, the DNS comes btw from the 192.168.1.100 next to it. When I don´t configure the zone-pairs, but the zones, traffic doesn´t go through, as expected.
When I don´t have the zones on gi1 and gi2, everything traverses the router, also as expected.

But as soon as I put the zones on the interfaces AND the zone-pairs in the configuration, I can access still everything, and not excluded the domain dieanderen.de...which makes me scratch my head.

ZBFW-Lab.png

And here the config of "TEST-ZBFW":

version 17.3
!
hostname TEST-ZBFW
!
no aaa new-model
!
ip name-server 8.8.8.8
ip domain name mumumumu.net
!
parameter-map type inspect FW-INSPECT-LOG
audit-trail on
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
object-group fqdn OGN-MICROSOFT-FQDNS
pattern microsoft\.de
!
object-group service OGS-MICROSOFT
icmp
tcp eq www
!
class-map type inspect match-all FW-CLM-MICROSOFT
match access-group name MATCH-MICROSOFT
!
class-map type inspect match-any FW-CLM-LAN
match protocol icmp
match access-group name MATCH-MICROSOFT
match access-group name MATCH-LAN-ALLOWED
!
policy-map type inspect FW-PLM-LAN-INTERNET
class type inspect FW-CLM-MICROSOFT
inspect FW-INSPECT-LOG
class type inspect FW-CLM-LAN
inspect FW-INSPECT-LOG
class class-default
drop log
!
zone security FW-ZONE-LAN
zone security FW-ZONE-INTERNET
zone-pair security FW-ZP-LAN-WAN source FW-ZONE-LAN destination FW-ZONE-INTERNET
service-policy type inspect FW-PLM-LAN-INTERNET
!
interface GigabitEthernet1
ip address 99.99.99.2 255.255.255.252
ip nat outside
negotiation auto
no mop enabled
no mop sysid
!
interface GigabitEthernet2
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
ip access-group LAN-IN in
negotiation auto
no mop enabled
no mop sysid
!
ip nat inside source list NAT interface GigabitEthernet1 overload
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 99.99.99.1
!
ip access-list extended MATCH-LAN-IN
10 permit ip host 192.168.1.100 any
!
ip access-list extended MATCH-MICROSOFT
10 permit object-group OGS-MICROSOFT any fqdn-group OGN-MICROSOFT-FQDNS
!
ip access-list extended NAT
10 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

Maybe you (or anyone else?) have an idea where I got sth wrong here.
Wouldn´t make me wonder, since I also never used the feature "object-group fqdn" before, discovered it just last week.
See here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/ios-firewall/221876-configure-zbfw-using-fqdn-acl-pattern-ma.html
As my possible savior...but not so much, by now

Kind regards,

Andreas

from theory it can work IF the router can resolve the FQDN to IP 
here you config dns server and I think ip domain-lookup is by default add (make sure by add this command again)
last step is from router 
ping to one of FQDN and see if router can resolve it or not ?

MHM 

Yeah, this all works fine. Double-checked it over and over again.
And yes, I see, I scrubbed it out when I pasted the config here. I´ll edit it, misleading.

But, as I said, the name resolution definitely works, because the main problem I have is...the PC on the left side can still access all the web servers, including dieanderen.de , in his browser.

Makes me sort of nuts

Doublechecked...it´s on by default, you were right:

TEST-ZBFW#ping microsoft.de 
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 80.0.0.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 20/56/161 ms
TEST-ZBFW#
TEST-ZBFW#sh ru | i ip_domain
ip domain name mumumumu.net
TEST-ZBFW#  

Hello
why class-map  FW-CLM-LAN when FW-CLM-MICROSOFT  this is basically performing the same action, also if you want access microsoft\.de blocked just dont include it in the object OGN-MICROSOFT-FQDNS it then should get pushed into the class class-default and dropped.

could you try the following:

object-group fqdn OGN-MICROSOFT-FQDNS

no policy-map type inspect FW-PLM-LAN-INTERNET
policy-map type inspect FW-PLM-LAN-INTERNET
class type inspect FW-CLM-MICROSOFT
inspect
class class-default
drop log

Can you post the output of:

show zone security
show policy-map inspect zone-pair sessions

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

no, you got me wrong here:

What I want to achieve is enabling the Microsoft-doamins, while blocking out the domain dieanderen.de

And this is what confuses me, because as I understand the object-definition/policy-maps, everything which is NOT defined by me (which dieanderen.de is obviously NOT, unlike microsoft.de and *.microsoft.com) should fall in class-default and therefore, according to my instruction, be blocked. Which doesn´t happen...

Hello
LOL apologies - 
See attached..

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

no worries...I am constantly editing my posts here too, the problem of only being halfbrained while the other part is saving the world somewhere else at the moment. let me try later, hopefully I will have not a too long Friday...it´s always on Fridays, no?

Hi, i am at it finally again. And by now i can definitely say...nope, not working. At least not in the production routers.

"

Restrictions for Web Filtering

The following restrictions apply to the web filtering feature:

• This feature is only supported on Cisco CSR 1000V Cloud Services Router and it is not supported on Cisco 4000 Series Integrated Services Routers."

An these are the ones we have everywhere...

Hi friend I forget you

Sorry I was busy 

Dont worry I will check in my lab using fqdn and update you

Thanks for waiting 

MHM

no worries...fully busy with other topics, just fot back to that yesterday evening...and the whole day

Hi Alisha,

Exactly, it´s what I want to achieve.

And it's what I did:
1. resolution of the FQDNs work fine
2. you see the running config of my testbox, seems he understood what I wanted
3. yes, I thought so too

...just somehow...no success...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card