Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay link up and down

atattan123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have remote site connected thru a frame relay with ISDN Backup,

Frame-relay start going up and down which is bringing the ISDN up and down also and slowing down the connection between users and main office. This happen each 5 min or 10 min!!! .

I am using at the remote site Cisco 1721 router.

Main office Cisco 3660 router with Sub interface for this link.

OSPF Protocle

I did check all Configuration and they all looks fine .

Any one helps me where to check other than the configuration in both links.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,

Ahmad Tattan

5 Replies 5

djohnston
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like you're losing LMI's.

"show frame lmi" will show the statistics. You may need to clear the counters first. The status messages should increment with the status enquiries.

You should be sending an enquiry out every 10 seconds. A "debug frame lmi" will let you see these. You should see a response right after evey enquiry.

-Don

Hello Ahmad,

do you see any errors on your interface (input, CRC, and frame errors) ? Can you check where your clocking is coming from (with the command ´show controllers interface x) ? It sounds like a problem with your provider, have you contacted them already ?

Can you post your configuration anyway ?

Regards,

GP

Thank for your response's

I am attaching snap shot of the sho interface and sho Frame LMI.

Please let me know what is the best action shall I take.

Thanks

Thanks Guys for your response's

I am attaching snap shot of the sho interface and sho Frame LMI.

Please let me know what is the best action shall I take.

Thanks

Hello,

I noticed that your LMI type is CCITT, make sure you have that configured on your interface (´frame-relay lmi-type ccitt´).

Also, the broadcast queue is showing drops, which might cause problems with your OSPF routing updates. You might want to try and increase it with the interface command ´frame-relay broadcast-queue´, you could try and set it to twice the default:

frame-relay broadcast-queue 128 512000 72

The input/crc/frame errors you see indicate some sort of a physical problem. I would replace all the cabling (e.g. the cable from the router to your DSU/CSU) that you are in charge of, and, as indicated earlier, if that doesn´t help, get with the service provider and ask them if they could provide for a physical test of their equipment.

HTH,

GP

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card