Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP help

aaronkb2002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

Really confused on where I allocate an IP address from to use for GLBP interfaces on 2 core routers ? 

here is the design 

BGP router ( ISP )
Core router ____GLBP ______Core router
Layer 3 switch
Fire wall
Layer 3 switch ( access level , supporting VLANS ) subnet 126.89.120.0/27

any help would be appreciated 

Thanks 

Aaron 

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Feedback Forum is dedicated to other topics and you are off-topic here. See description for details.

This thread will be moved.

Hello

So the redundent connection is between the Fw and the 2 rtrs?

Is your intention to supply resillience/load balancing for the wan connectivity ?
Do your L3 switch and frewall have the same default route pointing to the core rrtrs, or is the l3 switch pointing to the fw and the fw pointing to the core rtrs?

here is a example:
fa0/0 = link to bgp isp -
fa0/1 - link to fw - 1.1.1.0/24

core 1

track 2 interface FastEthernet0/0 line-protocol
track 1 interface FastEthernet0/1 line-protocol

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 glbp 12 ip 1.1.1.254
 glbp 12 priority 200
 glbp 12 preempt
 glbp 12 weighting 110 lower 95 upper 105
 glbp 12 authentication text Stan
 glbp 12 weighting track 1
 glbp 12 weighting track 2

Core 2

track 2 interface FastEthernet0/0 line-protocol
track 1 interface FastEthernet0/1 line-protocol

ip address 1.1.1.3 255.255.255.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 glbp 12 ip 1.1.1.254
 glbp 12 preempt
 glbp 12 weighting 110 lower 95 upper 105
 glbp 12 authentication text Stan
 glbp 12 weighting track 1
 glbp 12 weighting track 2

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul 

Thank you .

my intention is to provide load balancing and LAN redundancy between the two core routers in case one fails .

the two core routers are pointing to TWO seperate ISP's . 

there is a layer 3 switch between the core router and the firewall , this was a business requirement . I can send a topology diagram to show what I mean .

i am just confused where I pull an IP address from to use on the GLBP interfaces and also a Virtual ip

does this help ?

i am really open to suggestions any help would be greatly appreciated 

thanks   

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

GLBP is unlikely to help you because it depends on multiple source MACs.  If your traffic is coming from a FW (cluster), there's but one source MAC.

What you might be able to do is use mHSRP to have a virtual GW defined on both egress routers, and then route your FW traffic to each GW.  This should then provide a "static" 50/50 outbound split.

In lieu of, or addition to, the foregoing, if your egress routers support PfR, it can do dynamic load balancing between them.

hi 

Then where do i implement HSRP ? at the core level between the two routers ?

how would the config look like ?

thank you 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

On the core router interfaces, facing the FW.

How - see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/hot-standby-router-protocol-hsrp/13781-7.html/index.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card