cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gre Tunnel from Site 1 to 2 has no connection.

Lost & Found
Level 2
Level 2

Hi.

Ive tried to configure Gre tunnel on out site 1 and 2 but both site has no connection. 

All tunnel interface status is UP/UP

from isp router 2 ip can ping the int tunnel IP but ISP router 1 can't ping it's own tunnel address.

Is it fine to run with s0/0 interface?

Router 2 - 2800 and router 1 - 2600

Do i need to setup OSPF to ping r1-r2? or just static configuration?

Please see the attached photo for the configuration.

thanks

9 Replies 9

Robert Hillcoat
Level 1
Level 1

The configuration of your IP address is wrong. 

One side should be 10.10.1.1 and the other side should be 10.10.1.2, according to your picture they have the same address on both sides. 

The duplicate IP addresses on the tunnel are certainly a problem. And the address of 300.1.1.222 is certainly not going to work. But assuming that the addresses given are disguised and not the real addresses that you are using it is perhaps not such a big deal.

I agree with Joseph that the first thing to do is to verify whether each router is able to ping to the outside IP address of its peer router. This is the biggest problem that most people face when attempting to set up GRE tunnels. You have provided only parts of the config and there could be other issues which we can not yet see. But verifying external connectivity is the first step in troubleshooting.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Sorry I typed the wrong ip address on diagram.

but on Router configuration it's 10.10.1.1 and 10.10.1.2.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Some GRE implementations report up/up even though there's no logical connectivity (enabling keep alives will bring the tunnel down).

Can both routers ping the far side's external IP?  (Outside of the tunnel.)

Hi,

2600 Router can't support keepalive.

r1-r2 yes

r2-r1 no

I'll check if ICMP on r1 is disable.

thanks

I am surprised that the 2600 can not support GRE keepalive. But that is nice to have but not important in solving this problem.

I am surprised that R1 can ping R2 but R2 can not ping R1. But if that is the case then it certainly is the reason why the GRE tunnel is not working. You might want to try a traceroute between the routers and see if anything unexpected turns up in the traceroute.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Now I can R1 to R2 and R2 to R1. but my tunnel is still not working.

all int is up/up

R1#show int tunnel 1

Tunnel1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Tunnel

Internet address is 172.16.1.1/24

MTU 17916 bytes, BW 100 Kbit/sec, DLY 50000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation TUNNEL, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Tunnel linestate evaluation up

Tunnel source XXXX (Serial0/0/0), destination XXXX

Tunnel Subblocks:

src-track:

Tunnel1 source tracking subblock associated with Serial0/0/0

Set of tunnels with source Serial0/0/0, 1 member (includes iterators), on interface <OK>

Tunnel protocol/transport GRE/IP

R2#

Tunnel1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Tunnel

Internet address is 172.16.1.2/24

MTU 17916 bytes, BW 100 Kbit/sec, DLY 50000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation TUNNEL, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

Tunnel source XXXX (GigabitEthernet0/1), destination XXXX

Tunnel Subblocks:

src-track:

Tunnel1 source tracking subblock associated with GigabitEthernet0/1

Set of tunnels with source GigabitEthernet0/1, 1 member (includes iter

ators), on interface <OK>

Tunnel protocol/transport GRE/IP

thanks

I am glad that you have made progress with this issue. Obviously some things have changed. So would you give us a fresh copy of the current configurations?

Also can you post the output of R1 pinging R2 tunnel destination and specifying the source address to be the tunnel source. And post the output of R2 pinging R1 tunnel destination and specifying the source address to be the tunnel source.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Predrag Jovic
Level 3
Level 3

Are you sure that your interface s0/0 IP address is 300.1.1.222?

:)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card