Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE tunnel is not coming up

Suman
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

I have configured a GRE over IPSEC tunnel. IPSec tunnel is configured on internet firewall and GRE tunnel is configured on internal router. My IPsec tunnel is working fine, but when i enable keep-alive on gre tunnel interface, then tunnel goes down. I am able to ping the remote side gre tunnel destination 192.168.185.5

Please find the attached logs 

Need your help to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Suman

9 Replies 9

pashtet13
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming lookback0 has IP 192.168.185.6 assigned?

How do you route to 192.168.185.5? Do you have a static route to the firewall (that will be the proper way of doing it).

Yes 192.168.185.6 is already assigned to loopback IP

I have added a static route on router towards firewall and i am able to see tcp keepalive packets in firewall in both direction, but unfortunately tunnel is not coming up. 

I don't see any issue from firewall side. I would like to confirm, if there is any bug or any configuration issue on router related to GRE.

Before you configure GRE keeplive, it just seems ok as the GRE tunnel is up, how can you prove the GRE tunnel is ok?  you should send some traffic over this GRE tunnel, if successful, then you can prove the GRE tunnel works as expected, ping gre tunnel destination IP address does not make sense here, as this ICMP echo request is not over GRE tunnel, you should ping the IP address behind the remote GRE tunnel to make sure ICMP message exactly sent over GRE tunnel.

After you configure GRE keeplive, the GRE tunnel is down, it is clear the GRE keeplive message was discarded somewhere! Even you can ping, it just can prove the gre source and destination route is ok, so I suspect GRE packet is blocked somewhere before and after you set GRE keeplive. so I suggest you remove the GRE keeplive and test GRE tunnel works good by passing traffic over it. At least you can narrow down the trooubleshooting scope.

David_Che
Level 1
Level 1

If both routers are configured with tunnel protection then GRE tunnel keeaplives cannot be used in either direction. You can refer the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/generic-routing-encapsulation-gre/64565-gre-tunnel-keepalive.pdf

tunnel protection is not enabled.

Are you allowing the protocols through the firewall and routers , 47 , 500 , 50 & 51 ?

without these the tunnel will not form , is your IPsec up oin router side and tunnel down or both down ?

IPSec is already UP which is created on firewall and GRE tunnel is created on inside router.

We just need to allow GRE traffic in firewall, however i have also checked with ANY service, but no luck

Have you tried change the src of tunnel to physical interface or ip address just incase its having issues forming over logical interface

you said you can ping to far side , can you ping back no issues from ASA side , can you ping from a src of your loopback as well

I tried whatever suggested by you, but it's not working.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card