Views
Helpful
Replies

HA in static routes to a same destination

ebenitez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having some trouble trying to conmute 2 static routes to a same destination.
One connection pass by the WAN in firewall trough a VPN tunnel and the other one pass by a MPLS connection trough a router.
both connections are UP now, and the default route takes the path through the router and that is OK

ebenitez_0-1726170101572.png

My static route config in the SWITCH CORE is something like this

ip route "segment_from_REMOTE_ROUTER" "Gateway_MPLS_ROUTER"
ip route "segment_from_REMOTE_ROUTER" "Firewall_IP" 180 (manual metric distance)

But in the table route shows only the ip route through the "Gateway_MPLS_ROUTER" active, so i want to active the other route if the tunnel in the router turns down and restore again the connection when is reconnected. Same thing if the connection is active through the VPN tunnel in Firewall turns down, active the static route through the MPLS Router.
But how i can do that? there is an option in ip-sla or something like that to provide high availability in 2 static routes?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @ebenitez ,

you can use the following document as a guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/200785-ISP-Failover-with-default-routes-using-I.html?dtid=osscdc000283

you need to track the primary static route with an IP SLA.

the IP SLA configuration needs to be performed carefully in order to be sure to use the primary path exit interface. The destination of the SLA has to be meaningful that is an IP address on remote MPLS site that cannot be reached if the MPLS service is down.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @ebenitez ,

you can use the following document as a guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/200785-ISP-Failover-with-default-routes-using-I.html?dtid=osscdc000283

you need to track the primary static route with an IP SLA.

the IP SLA configuration needs to be performed carefully in order to be sure to use the primary path exit interface. The destination of the SLA has to be meaningful that is an IP address on remote MPLS site that cannot be reached if the MPLS service is down.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card