cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP! Stuck in rom, can't load flash system won't reset???

BHEbrecht
Level 1
Level 1

I went to reload the router because I was getting a bunch of messages saying: *Mar 1 00:29:47.411: %PQUICC_ETHER-5-COLL: Unit 0, excessive collisions. Retry

limit 15 exceeded

So I saved my configurations and then it loaded in rom. I tried "reset", "boot" but it says there is a bad file magic number 0x0 and boot cannot load flash. I can't get back to default settings. Can anyone help me please!!

thanks in advance!

7 Replies 7

Hello,

when you do a ´dir flash´ can you see an IOS image ? If so, try to manually boot with the command ´boot flash: image_name´. It could also be that your IOS is corrupted, in that case, you will need to load a new IOS into flash.

Check this link for the procedure to verify if you have a valid image in flash, and if not, to load a new one:

Look for a Valid Image in Flash

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a0080094a0b.shtml#topic1

HTH,

GP

Ok I did a 'dir flash' and this is what I got:

rommon 10 > dir flash

bad device name

usage: dir

rommon 11 >

So it looks like there is no flash what so ever. So now what??

I have a 1721 router

You can use the "dev" command to find valid device names for the particular platform you have.

rommon 1 > dev

Devices in device table:

id name

flash: flash

bootflash: boot flash

eprom: eprom

Once you have a list of devices you can use "dir device_name" e.g., dir bootflash: to find out the file name.

After that use "boot device_name file_name"

Regards

Steve

This was very helpful for me
Thanks

Hello,

you need to type ´dir flash:´ (that is, you need to type the colon (:) as well), check if you get any output from that:

dir flash:

Regards,

GP

Ok I typed 'dir flash:' with the colon and this is what I got:

rommon 13 > dir flash:

File size Checksum File name

693 bytes (0x2b5) 0x624b start-config

rommon 14 >

So I typed 'boot device start-config and it gave me:

rommon 9 > boot device start-config

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0

open: failed to find and/or load the bootloader: "flash:start-config"

loadprog: error - on file open

boot: cannot load "device start-config"

Also did:

rommon 16 > boot flash:start-config

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0

boot: cannot load "flash:start-config"

Any ideas??

Thanks!

You either have a bad flash or a corrupted image. You should attempt rommon recovery as outlined in the following link. If you load a new image and get the same error message, you can be pretty sure that the flash is defective.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_tech_note09186a00800942dc.shtml#topic2

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card