cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with OSPF virtual links

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I am practicing setting up OSPF virutal links and I never have done it before. I have a setup with 4 routers setup as follows.

R1---area0--------R2----------area11-----------R3-----------area54-----------R4

I want to be able to ping from R4 to R1.

I have attached all the configs and info. I must be overlooking something easy. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mike,

I agree with Giuseppe's suggestions. In addition, check all your IP addresses at each link and that neighbors are forming at each one of these. I haven't checked all the configs, but from those 2 I checked, I think you have at least a duplicate IP address problem somewhere.

Kind Regards,

Maria

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mike,

ensure that OSPF router-id on ABR nodes are those intended by using

R2

router ospf 1

router-id  2.2.2.2

R3

router ospf 1

router-id 3.3.3.3

virtual link attempts to connect to the router with router-id = IP address specified in the command

I also recommend to use /32 IP addresses as loopback addresses as a good habit

these loop addresses can also be advertised in OSPF, but contrary to my personal belief it is not necessary.

Again I usually advertise the /32 IP of loopback.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for your help Giuseppe. I will follow your best habits recomendations. I did try it with out the router-id line and it worked when I corrected the duplicate IP address. I will going forward use it just for better control.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mike,

I agree with Giuseppe's suggestions. In addition, check all your IP addresses at each link and that neighbors are forming at each one of these. I haven't checked all the configs, but from those 2 I checked, I think you have at least a duplicate IP address problem somewhere.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Thank you both for your help.

Maria, It was the duplicate ip address....

I went over and over it and just skipped right over it.....thanks

Mike

PS.

Wish me luck on my first CCNP Route exam...... I need it 

Hi Mike,

I figured you were studying for an exam. I mean, why would anyone practice virtual links all of a sudden? Yes, I know, there is also the pleasure of it!

I wish you all the best, but what do you mean your "first"? You mean there will be a second?

Kind Regards,

Maria

Hopefully not a second ROUTE exam...but I do have the SWITCH and TSHOOT....Then I can be a coveted CCIE Candidate.

Mike

Mike, you need to pass the CCIE Written first to become a CCIE candidate! No CCNP exams are required!

Good luck with you exams!

Oh...I thought I just needed to think about taking the CCIE written and that was it....

Mike

LOL! Sorry to disappoint you Mike!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card