Views
Helpful
Replies

Home lab assistance

sgrg07
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am working on setting up a home lab. I have an ISP wireless modem connected to a cisco 2811router. 

I've done a static route from the cisco router to the internet via the modem. I can ping 8.8.8.8 but cant ping anything else. Does this mean that the cisco router is not connected to the internet?

Also is there a need for a route back from the internet/modem to the router? 

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks 

29 Replies 29

Hi Paul, 

I tried pinging  73.163.4.161 source f0/1. It timed out.

I then changed the NAT source list and tried it from the client PC, still the same result. 

I also tried a nslookup www.google.com with no luck.. 

I cant figure out whats causing this

@sgrg07

Does your pc is using dhcp? If does, which DNS server are you using?

Try to put ip domain-name 8.8.8.8 on your router.

Or put 8.8.8.8 manually on your pc.

Hi, 
I have the configured 8.8.8.8 as the ip domain name server in the router and client pc as well. 

Hello,

I don't want to be redundant, but make sure your configuration look exactly like the one below.

Can you post the output of 'ipconfig /all' of one of your clients ?

Current configuration : 1128 bytes
!
version 12.4
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
no logging console
!
no aaa new-model
dot11 syslog
!
ip cef
!
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!

ip name-server 8.8.8.8

ip name-server 8.8.4.4

!
voice-card 0
no dspfarm
!
archive
log config
hidekeys
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
description INTERNET_WAN
ip address dhcp
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
description HOME_LAN
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
duplex auto
speed auto
!
ip forward-protocol nd
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0 dhcp
!
ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip nat inside source list 1 interface FastEthernet0/0 overload
!
ip access-list 1 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255
!
control-plane
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
!
end

Hello
If you cannot even ping the internet from the rtr then you want be able from the lan either

You don’t need the rtr to be dns server it’ll just add resource to the device just make sure you can access the internet before you add your rtr

Can you please bypass the rtr entirely and plug a pc straight into the modem and see if you can access the internet then if so I t maybe that the modem is negating access because of an already registered MAC address if that is the case then you may have the spoof it

Just test and let us know the results
Red
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, 

Just did the test (plugged pc straight into modem port) , it cannot access the internet. 

So does this mean what you were suggestion was right ( modem is negating access because of an already registered MAC address) ?   If so how do I spoof mac adresses ? 

Kind Regards

Hello

Did you at least obtain an ip address from the modem? If not can you remember what device you first connected to it ?

In  the wan interface interface if your rtr manually apply that pc MAC address  to it - connect the rtr and switch  and ping from the  rtr sourced from the lan interface and see if it works i if it does you’ll know for certain 

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, 

sorry to be such a pain , but I kind of could not grasp what you were trying to say. 

could you kindly break it down a little bit please?

Hello
If you cannot even ping the internet from the rtr then you want be able from the lan either

You don’t need the rtr to be dns server it’ll just add resource to the device just make sure you can access the internet before you add your rtr

Can you please bypass the rtr entirely and plug a pc straight into the modem and see if you can access the internet then if so I t maybe that the modem is negating access because of an already registered MAC address if that is the case then you may have the spoof it

Just test and let us know the results

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi, 

Ive checked and made sure the config is exactly the ssame as the one you posted. 

please see the ipconfig/all form one of the client pc

Looks like you are not getting DNS server:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Where did you get your DHCP service?  Can you add  8.8.8.8 as DNS server on the DHCP service?

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hello,

try and set your PC NIC to DHCP, and configure the router as DHCP server. To do that, you need to add the below.

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1

ip dhcp pool LAN
network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 10.10.10.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
lease 3

Hi, 

I have configured the router with that but for some reason NIC on my PC (laptop) doesnt accquire any ip form the DHCP. 

I am connected to the router via a switch. 
I have a default gateway in the switch as the LAN interface of the router.

Hello,

what switch model ? If it is a Cisco switch, make sure the interface on the switch is configured with 'spanning-tree portfast'...

Hello

All --  I think a pause is required here - Whats the point of configuring the OP's own rtr anymore for dns/dhcp etc when investigation so far has discovered the OP cannot even access the internet from a directly connected pc.plugged into the isp modem.

The OP needs to establish connection from the isp modem first then when that is successful  they can then extend their own rtr /switch setup.?

My 2 pennies worth -

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card