cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I connect DHCP server through 3 switches?

hens
Level 1
Level 1

For an assignment I am working on the DHCP is attached to the pictured switch. I am not really sure how to make the DHCP server route through 3 layers of switches. Even more challenging is that I have to router the DHCP server requests through to the right side of the network's hosts.

Every department is also in its own VLAN but I am just unsure how i can connect the DHCP pool to my VLANs.

Any help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cannot say/guarantee the following will work for PT, as the "fidelity" of PT, vs. "real" hardware, can vary quite a bit.

In the "real world", a DHCP server with an interface in the same L2 domain (e.g. VLAN) as DHCP hosts, should work without any additional network support.

If, however, the DHCP server has a L3 routing device (e.g. router or L3), between it and the hosts you want it to support, on such Cisco devices you configure a "helper" address (basically you configure the IP of the DHCP server).

PS:

BTW, you only need the helper on the edge/gateway routing devices; i.e. those connected to the networks that need DHCP addresses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hens
Level 1
Level 1

This is in packet tracer btw.

Cannot say/guarantee the following will work for PT, as the "fidelity" of PT, vs. "real" hardware, can vary quite a bit.

In the "real world", a DHCP server with an interface in the same L2 domain (e.g. VLAN) as DHCP hosts, should work without any additional network support.

If, however, the DHCP server has a L3 routing device (e.g. router or L3), between it and the hosts you want it to support, on such Cisco devices you configure a "helper" address (basically you configure the IP of the DHCP server).

PS:

BTW, you only need the helper on the edge/gateway routing devices; i.e. those connected to the networks that need DHCP addresses.

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@hens,

Please provide the zipped pka/pkt file and any intructions you were given.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card