cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I connect DHCP server through 3 switches?

hens
Beginner
Beginner

For an assignment I am working on the DHCP is attached to the pictured switch. I am not really sure how to make the DHCP server route through 3 layers of switches. Even more challenging is that I have to router the DHCP server requests through to the right side of the network's hosts.

Every department is also in its own VLAN but I am just unsure how i can connect the DHCP pool to my VLANs.

Any help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cannot say/guarantee the following will work for PT, as the "fidelity" of PT, vs. "real" hardware, can vary quite a bit.

In the "real world", a DHCP server with an interface in the same L2 domain (e.g. VLAN) as DHCP hosts, should work without any additional network support.

If, however, the DHCP server has a L3 routing device (e.g. router or L3), between it and the hosts you want it to support, on such Cisco devices you configure a "helper" address (basically you configure the IP of the DHCP server).

PS:

BTW, you only need the helper on the edge/gateway routing devices; i.e. those connected to the networks that need DHCP addresses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hens
Beginner
Beginner

This is in packet tracer btw.

Cannot say/guarantee the following will work for PT, as the "fidelity" of PT, vs. "real" hardware, can vary quite a bit.

In the "real world", a DHCP server with an interface in the same L2 domain (e.g. VLAN) as DHCP hosts, should work without any additional network support.

If, however, the DHCP server has a L3 routing device (e.g. router or L3), between it and the hosts you want it to support, on such Cisco devices you configure a "helper" address (basically you configure the IP of the DHCP server).

PS:

BTW, you only need the helper on the edge/gateway routing devices; i.e. those connected to the networks that need DHCP addresses.

NetworkDave
Participant
Participant

@hens,

Please provide the zipped pka/pkt file and any intructions you were given.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers