Replies

How many BGP routes can C3825 store

gbcbooksmj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

please check my device screenshot

i used to store more then 120,000 routes on my C3825 router

but from the log output  , my device was out of memory to store BGP route , and the total numbers of BGP routes was only more 52,000.

any one know what is going on ?

13 Replies 13

Hi

It is a lot routes, are you connected this router to Internet using BGP? It could be being used as a transit router and that is a problem.

If it is a transit router you could block  this traffic and avoid be a transit router using ASpath acl + Regular expressions.

>> Marcar como Ćŗtil o contestado, si la respuesta resolviĆ³ la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

no i did not connect it as a transit router . 

Hello,

do you actually need all those 52000 routes ? You obviously could consider route filtering, or working with just default routes.

Either way, check your config for stuff like 'soft reconfiguration inbound/outbound' which as far as I remember doubles the size of the routing table, but is not needed anymore in the latest BGP release.

yes , i need them all , actually  , there will be more .

Hello,

the total memory usage for BGP depends on more factors than only the amount of routes. Can you post the full configuration of your router ?

ok

the memory of my c3825 , it show the totoal 's 78MB , do you know what it going on ? 

Hello,

can you post the output of:

show platform

That output should give you the exact amount of memory...

Hello, 

52000 routes shouldn't be a problem, if you consider that for the full BGP table (>500K routes) you need about 1 Gigabit of memory.

That said, can you post the configuration of the router, as well as the output of 'show version' ?

here is the soft version of my c3825 .

as the previous attchment , you can see the total memory of c3825 is 77878592Byte = 74MB , it should be 220MB from the version showing.

@Julio Moisa

no i did not connect it as a transit router . 

Hello

sh ip bgp neighbors | in Prefix
sh ip bgp sum

Following on from Julo mentioned you can become a transit AS if you peer with two different ISP's and unwittingly adverted their routes to each other, to negate that.a simple regex command would be required.

Regards soft-reconfiguration, Georg is correct this is very resource intensive and nowadays int required - Please review this

Below are the commends to prohibit becoming a transit AS and having soft-reconfiguration inbound disabled>

Example:
ip as-path access-list 10 permit ^$ ( local routes only)

router bgp xx
neighbor <isp1>  filter-list 10 out
no neighbor <isp1> soft-reconfiguration inbound
neighbor <isp2> filter-list 10 out
no neighbor <isp2> soft-reconfiguration inbound

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the communityā€™s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

i did not enable soft-configuration . 

do you think any incorrect any on the memory info  ?

I had always understood that a Full BGP table in modern times (2017) was more around the lines of 8 GB of memory.  I have found this to be true with the ISR4k.

gbcbooksmj
Level 1
Level 1

any reply  ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card