cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how many users can Cisco ASR 1001 Router handle?

hantool701
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

my company has Cisco ASR 1001 router. my manager wants me to figure out how many users can this router handle. he doesn't give me much details.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks and Regards. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is impossible to answer with the information given.

To guide you in the right direction - its not usually a matter of users but acceptable bandwidth.

Lets say you put in an ASR1k with a 2.5Gb/s licence.  If you want each user to be able to be 1Gb/s of bandwidth then you could only handle 2.5 concurrent users with a 1:1 contention ratio.  If you wanted each user to be able to get 100Mb/s of concurrent bandwidth then you could handle 25 concurrent users with a 1:1 contention ratio.

If you were an ISP you might use a 25:1 contention ratio for end users, and if each user had a 100Mb/s connection then you could support 625 users.

Get the drift?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is impossible to answer with the information given.

To guide you in the right direction - its not usually a matter of users but acceptable bandwidth.

Lets say you put in an ASR1k with a 2.5Gb/s licence.  If you want each user to be able to be 1Gb/s of bandwidth then you could only handle 2.5 concurrent users with a 1:1 contention ratio.  If you wanted each user to be able to get 100Mb/s of concurrent bandwidth then you could handle 25 concurrent users with a 1:1 contention ratio.

If you were an ISP you might use a 25:1 contention ratio for end users, and if each user had a 100Mb/s connection then you could support 625 users.

Get the drift?

Yes, got it. Thank you Mr. Philip.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I want to add, that a device's performance capacity will often vary based on the make up of the traffic and what your router does with it, beyond simply forwarding it.  Fortunately, the ASRs have additional hardware, not seen in the ISRs, so they're not quite as sensitive.

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

This table should give an idea:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/asrswcfg/scaling.html#pgfId-1125595

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card