cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure static route with BFD on Cisco 2951 router?

bin_wang_sh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to use static route with BFD on Cisco 2951 router. The Cisco 2951 only has the image: c2951-universalk9-mz.SPA.153-1.T1.bin

I login the router and enter:

# config terminal

# interface Ge0/1

And I cannot find any bfd command in the interface mode.

But I find the following command:

#ip route static bfd

So I confuse with the above information. Because I get bfd configuration instruction from cisco website:

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. interface type number

4. ip address ip-address mask

5. bfd interval milliseconds min_rx milliseconds multiplier interval-multiplier

6. exit

7. ip route static bfd interface-type interface-number ip-address [group group-name [passive]]

8. ip route [vrf vrf-name] prefix mask {ip-address | interface-type interface-number [ip-address]}

[dhcp] [distance] [name next-hop-name] [permanent | track number] [tag tag]

9. exit

10. show ip static route

11. show ip static route bfd

12. exit

I check the Cisco features for the image c2951-universalk9-mz.SPA.153-1.T1.bin from Cisco web site. The website says the image cannot be found. Then I check the Cisco features for the image c2951-universalk9-mz.SPA.153-1.T.bin that is very similar with c2951-universalk9-mz.SPA.153-1.T1.bin

c2951.jpg

And you can find BFD-Static Route Support.

So I have two question:

• •1.       Does the image c2951-universalk9-mz.SPA.153-1.T1.bin  support bfd +static router ? if not, which image can support bfd +static router ?
  • •2.       Is the bfd configuration instruction correct ? if not, may anyone give me a suggestion ?

I think maybe someone has done the similar work. Can you give me cisco2951 image name and version information ?

4 Replies 4

veneet.thakur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do you have data license on your 2951? Because BFD is an advance feature & is not supported in the basic image, you need to have the data license for enabling it.

Secondly,any specific reasons for having BFD enabled for static routing, because it will not make much of sense as its designed for faster convergence on top of dynamic routing protocols.

Rgds, Veneet

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

HI,

How can I check the data license ? Can you give me any command ?

I check the features for the image from cisco website.

The website tell me the image has the BFD-Static Route Support feature.

Shall I do something before I use the feature ?

Thanks!

HI,

IP base license also include   the feature of BFD-Static Route Support.

So should I configure the following command on interface GigabitEthernet0/1 ?

bfd interval milliseconds min_rx milliseconds multiplier interval-multiplier

Or  I must have data license to configure BFD-Static Route?

Hi,

Yes, the data license is required for enabling BFD.

Thanks, Veneet

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card