cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to create vlan trunking on WAN point to point link

shehreyar
Level 1
Level 1

i want to extend same vlan on WAN Point to Point link, i can ping all vlan from site A to Site B through Point to point link. but how can i extend Vlans on Site B vlans on Site A.

8 Replies 8

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Currently, the point-to-point link is a routed connection. As the VLANs are terminated at a router, they do not span over the routed WAN link.

If you want to span the VLANs through this link, it will either need to be modified for bridged operation, or some kind of Layer2 tunnelling will be required. Can you give us more precise description of what kind of WAN link you are using (PPP, HDLC, Frame Relay, MPLS pseudowire, ...) and possibly, how is it currently configured? The configuration of both routers on the ends of the link would be helpful.

Best regards,

Peter

Dear Peter,

we have two sites Site A and Site B both are connected using point to point link, i have configured Site A core switch VTP in Sever mode and site B core Switch in VTP client mode both core switches

Management vlan can ping each other from Site A to Site B. but when i create vlan on Site A switch it is not replicated on Site B switch. Site A and Site B switches are connected on trunk ports with 802.1q encapsulation. how i can i get site A vlans on Site B. please help me on this issue.

Best Regards,

Shehreyar Khan.

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:44:17 -0600

To: shehreyar_khan@hotmail.com

Subject: - Re: how to create vlan trunking on WAN point to point link

Cisco Support Community

Re: how to create vlan trunking on WAN point to point link

created by Peter Paluch in WAN, Routing and Switching - View the full discussion

Hello, Currently, the point-to-point link is a routed connection. As the VLANs are terminated at a router, they do not span over the routed WAN link. If you want to span the VLANs through this link, it will either need to be modified for bridged operation, or some kind of Layer2 tunnelling will be required. Can you give us more precise description of what kind of WAN link you are using (PPP, HDLC, Frame Relay, MPLS pseudowire, ...) and possibly, how is it currently configured? The configuration of both routers on the ends of the link would be helpful. Best regards,Peter

Reply to this message by going to Cisco Support Community

Start a new discussion in WAN, Routing and Switching at Cisco Support Community

Dear Peter,

Further continuing to below email please find the attached sample diagram for FYI.

Thanks

Dear Peter,

we have two sites Site A and Site B both are connected using point to point link, i have configured Site A core switch VTP in Sever mode and site B core Switch in VTP client mode both core switches

Management vlan can ping each other from Site A to Site B. but when i create vlan on Site A switch it is not replicated on Site B switch. Site A and Site B switches are connected on trunk ports with 802.1q encapsulation. how i can i get site A vlans on Site B. please help me on this issue.

Best Regards,

Shehreyar Khan.

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:44:17 -0600

Cisco Support Community

created by Peter Paluch in WAN, Routing and Switching - View the full discussion

Hello,

Currently, the point-to-point link is a routed connection. As the VLANs are terminated at a router, they do not span over the routed WAN link.

If you want to span the VLANs through this link, it will either need to be modified for bridged operation, or some kind of Layer2 tunnelling will be required. Can you give us more precise description of what kind of WAN link you are using (PPP, HDLC, Frame Relay, MPLS pseudowire, ...) and possibly, how is it currently configured? The configuration of both routers on the ends of the link would be helpful.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello,

I apologize for my first assessment of the situation. I assumed you are using routers at the end of the WAN link which would make it routed indeed.

Can you please post the following information from both switches?

1. Output of the show running-config interface Fa0/1 command
  2. Output of the show interfaces trunk command
  3. Output of the show vtp status command
  4. Output of the show vtp counters command

Also please make sure using the show vtp password if VTP passwords are configured on both switches. If they are, they must be identical.

It is possible that your WAN service provider does not allow VTP to be passed through the link, and/or the tagged frames are not allowed on the link. Can you confirm this with your provider?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

i have also 2801 series routers how can i configure them on both sites to pass vlan traffic and swithces VTP is not having any passwords and both interfaces of switches are simply in trunk mode and using Dot1q encapsulation. When i take site b switch to site A and connect with core switch i get the VTP updates but when i bring back switch to site b connect to point to point link i can ping other side switch vlans but dont get the VTP updates.

Best Regards,

Shehreyar Khan.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:17:55 -0600

Cisco Support Community

Hello, I apologize for my first assessment of the situation. I assumed you are using routers at the end of the WAN link which would make it routed indeed. Can you please post the following information from both switches? Output of the show running-config interface Fa0/1 commandOutput of the show interfaces trunk commandOutput of the show vtp status commandOutput of the show vtp counters command Also please make sure using the show vtp password if VTP passwords are configured on both switches. If they are, they must be identical. It is possible that your WAN service provider does not allow VTP to be passed through the link, and/or the tagged frames are not allowed on the link. Can you confirm this with your provider? Best regards,Peter

Hi Shehreyar,

Let us focus on one single problem. If we start jumping from switches to routers, we will not solve your issue in an effective manner.

I understand that your ports may be configured for trunking. However, I need the technical information provided by the outputs I have requested, as there may be some hidden clues of what is the problem. Would you please be so kind to provide all the outputs I asked for? Thank you!

You can also make a different test: Set all switches to the VTP Transparent mode, and create a new VLAN manually on both switches - a VLAN that is not native on the trunk connection. Then, assign two common access ports to it, one on each site, and verify whether the devices connected to these ports in this new VLAN can ping each other. If they can then the WAN link is capable of transporting tagged frames, and the only issue we are having is with VTP which may be administratively prohibited by your WAN service provider.

I am interested in seeing those outputs and the result of this experiment. Please keep me informed. Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

Dear Peter,

On both switches config interface GigabitEthernet0/24 is trunk port for Site B core switch, on Site B core switch we need all Vlans of Site A.

Best Regards,

Shehreyar Khan.

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:51:30 -0600

Cisco Support Community

Hi Shehreyar, Let us focus on one single problem. If we start jumping from switches to routers, we will not solve your issue in an effective manner. I understand that your ports may be configured for trunking. However, I need the technical information provided by the outputs I have requested, as there may be some hidden clues of what is the problem. Would you please be so kind to provide all the outputs I asked for? Thank you! You can also make a different test: Set all switches to the VLAN Transparent mode, and create a new VLAN manually on both switches - a VLAN that is not native on the trunk connection. Then, assign two common access ports to it, one on each site, and verify whether the devices connected to these ports in this new VLAN can ping each other. If they can then the WAN link is capable of transporting tagged frames, and the only issue we are having is with VTP which may be administratively prohibited by your WAN service provider. I am interested in seeing those outputs and the result of this experiment. Please keep me informed. Thank you! Best regards,Peter

Hello,

The configuration appears to be correct. However, the show ip interface brief output on both switches shows that the Gi0/24 port - the trunk port - is down/down, i.e. disconnected. Why is that?

Can you also perform the test with VTP Transparent mode, adding a new VLAN, say, 555, and assigning two stations on each site to that VLAN to see if they can ping themselves over the WAN link, as I suggested in my previous post?

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: