cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to dump ALL console message to a syslog file

Frank27
Level 1
Level 1

As per title. I would like to collect ALL message from a machine and dumping them inside a syslog file of 10 MB size that will overwrite it once it is reaching the size limit.

Is that possible and how?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- Some devices support

pipe

command as to redirect output to  a file when showing the logs , and then copy file to external repository with tftp or scp. Note that it is always better to have a syslog server in place for operational follow-up and keeping longtime-logs as you wanted and or then your initial question 'disappears'

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- As far as the first part of your question is concerned the

logging trap ...

command will determine the verbosity of syslog messages being send to the syslog server ,

logging trap debugging

being everything.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi,

i don't have a syslog server, i need to dump inside a single 10MB file  in the router itself for further reading

- Some devices support

pipe

command as to redirect output to  a file when showing the logs , and then copy file to external repository with tftp or scp. Note that it is always better to have a syslog server in place for operational follow-up and keeping longtime-logs as you wanted and or then your initial question 'disappears'

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: