Views
Helpful
Replies

How to filter EIGRP Reply Packets?

googleboy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody.

I am testing EIGRP SIA Query and EIGRP SIA Reply packets and would like to capture them with Wireshark. I shut down loopback 0 on R1. Then R1 sends an EIGRP Query (not EIGRP SIA Query) message for the network configured on loopback 0. R2 quickly sends an EIGRP Reply to R1.

How do I prevent the EIGRP Reply (not the EIGRP SIA reply) from R2 from reaching R1, without breaking EIGRP hello relationship between the two routers.? 

My goal is to have R1 enter the SIA state while waiting for an EIGRP Reply from R2.

Extended access list would not help here.

2 Replies 2

Hello

You could try :

disabling the  active timers altogether on the router as a whole or increase the eigrp hold timers and negate all packets via a acl from the eigrp neighbour you wish not to receive an reply to a SIA query then drop the interface you wish eigrp to query for.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

networkcheff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Try to play around with the active timer. 

This timer controls the time the router waits after sending a query before declaring the route stuck in active (SIA) and resetting the neighbor relationship. To avoid this neighbor resetting you can temporary increase the active timer until you solve the problem by eliminating the cause.

timers active-time command can be used to adjust the active timer.

Check if that works.

If you found my answer to be useful please do not hesitate click on the Star button and answered.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card