Views
Helpful
Replies

How to perform destination routing using route-map in BGP

jatinder sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

We are having one call centre(OSCC) set-up having subnet(10.10.10.0/24) ,we have 2 MPLS links at router in call centre and they are working in active stand by mode. we have announced call centre subnet(10.10.10.0/24) into BGP. call centre connected  with these 2 sites via MPLS cloud.

HUB Data Centre -all voice applications hosted in this data centre. DC Subnet-30.30.30.0/24

Site B- Application sever is hosted at this site- Server IP is 20.20.20.100/32

only 3  user accesses(Machine IP-10.10.10.20,.21,.22) this application sever hosted at site B from call centre.can we do any destination routing using PBR  ,route-map in BGP.

so that request from these 3 IP's should go only  to application server - 20.20.20.100/32.Please advice and provide sample configuration. 

I have attached CC topology for your reference.

Regards

Jatinder Sharma

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't really understand what you are trying to do.

If this is MPLS then presumably the OSCC has routes to both the other two sites.

So why is this a routing issue.

If you want to limit who can access the server then use acls or a firewall.

Or is the application server not advertised to BGP ?

Jon

Hello Jon,

I agree with your opinion ,I can use access list or firewall to restrict access to specific IP's.

Application server is also advertised in BGP.  ,call centre geography falls in North.  Site B is falls in East  . can you advise  for destination based routing concept and   so all application   destined traffic be routed to  site B and rest all to DC  over MPLS.

Regards

Jatinder Sharma

I don't know what you mean by destination based routing because all routing is destination based.

If the application server is advertised into the MPLS network then your clients can reach it.

How you restrict which clients can reach it is not really a routing issue.

You could use routing and VRFs etc. to do this I suppose but why would you want to, it would be complex and not really needed.

A simple acl could achieve what you want.

Perhaps there is more to it and you could explain ?

Jon

Hello

what Jon is saying is if site b is the ONLY site advertising this subnet then the call centre has only one way to go--unless it's also be advertised from site Hub dc

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

Yes only site B advertising this subnet and Multiple CC  access site B application server ,but we are facing slowness issue with this call centre ,whenever users of this call centre access Application server hosted at site ,they face very slowness in accessing.

Regards

Jatinder Sharma

Hello

you checked the  performance of the server?

Just don't take the server admins word 

Everyone blames networks so I would in the his case suggest analysis the traffic via wireshark and obtain some solid information.

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

hello Paul,

multiple CC in those falls in north are accessing same application server and facing no issues.slowness issue with only specific call centre user's,that's y i am looking for option,if we can application server destined traffic to east site and rest to DC over MPLS using PBR in BGP. 

Regards

Jatinder 

The problem is your diagram shows direct connections but MPLS doesn't work this way.

You advertise the network to MPLS.

You cannot specify with those advertisements which source IPs should go one way or another.

For that you need PBR but even PBR doesn't really help over MPLS because the next hop is always a PE device and it will decide on which route to take.

What exact path do you want the clients to take to get the application server ?

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card