cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use pure IPv6 to access IPv4 service ?

zssvfcs88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are currently doing a project to use pure IPv6 to access both IPv6 and IPv4 services such as IPv4 web-sites

Currently,  the solution we found out is using IPv6 NAT-PT (or PAT) to translate IP  addresses between these two protocols and enable v4 to v6 IP address  converting function on DNS. However, this solution may not be able to  handle a lardge number of customers, and is difficurt to do  troubleshooting. Also, the end to end security is not provided under is  solution...

Is there any other better solution for this goal? Please advise...

Many Thanks!!!!!!!!

5 Replies 5

tongenchun
Level 1
Level 1

hi !you can bulide a tunnel of ipv4 top ipv6 ,and construction the tunnel by isp .

Hi Enchun,

Thanks for your reply, but i'm not sure if your solution could solve the issue...

My task is to allocate ipv6 address only to our customer and make sure they can access all ipv4 and ipv6 internet services at same time.

I test the ipv6 nat-pt, it works fine but this could not support lardge number of customers which will make the troubleshooting very difficurt as well.

Kind Regards

There is really no solution. If you want easy, immediate, stable and proven IPv4 connectivity, give IPv4 addresses, either  public or private.

IPv6 is a different, incompatible protocol not applicable for the general Internet.

tongenchun
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Shaoshi
sorry is not very aware of your specific topology, but is achievable through the tunnel ipv6 IPv4 Interworking
In the ipv6 nat translation needs attention .wo can have a talk  in private .

FirstFoot
Level 1
Level 1

Hello shaoshi,

Pls find this document, may be some fuel for your project needs. Thanks.

/Danda

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card