Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP track mechanism

Hi All,

I am a little bit confused while configuring below commands in HSRP.

1. track 10 interface G0/0 line-protocol
  2. delay up 10      
  3. delay down 20

Can anybody make me understand what the meaning this is.

Only confusion is in delay up and delay down. 

Also please share a good article where can I solve my doubt as well.

Regards,

Umesh

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Also please share a good article where can I solve my doubt as well.
   - FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2sb/feature/guide/sbaiptrk.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Umesh Prajapati11238,

Tracking is used to adjust the HSRP priority of a router based on the status of a specified interface or route. This allows the router's priority to be dynamically adjusted, influencing whether it becomes the active or standby router.

Delay Up = This parameter is the amount of time that a tracked object (in this case, the status of interface GigabitEthernet0/0) must be up before the HSRP priority of the router is increased. In your example, "delay up 10" means that if the tracked interface G0/0 transitions from a down state to an up state and remains up for at least 10 seconds, the HSRP priority of the router is increased. A higher priority makes the router more likely to become the active router.

Delay Down = This parameter is the amount of time that a tracked object must be down before the HSRP priority of the router is decreased. In your example, "delay down 20" means that if the tracked interface G0/0 transitions from an up state to a down state and remains down for at least 20 seconds, the HSRP priority of the router is decreased. A lower priority makes the router less likely to become the active router.

The purpose of these delay parameters is to prevent rapid and unnecessary flapping of HSRP priority due to brief changes in the status of the tracked object. These delays help to stabilize the network and reduce the likelihood of unnecessary HSRP state changes.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card