Views
Helpful
Replies

Hybird Flat network across two datacenters

Wan_Whisperer
Level 1
Level 1

Project ideal from the boss

I have two data centers connected via a dedicated transport L3 link.  Each data center has it own core routing and switching devices and unique vlans.

The goal would be to be able to have a hybird flat network and have the ability to take a virtual machine on let's say vlan 2 in DC1 and move it over the DC2 without changing its IP address. 

I know I can easily do this by changing the L3 link between DC1 and DC2 into a L2 and trunk all vlans between both data centers.  But when the VM is moved from DC1 to DC2 it default gateway will still be in DC1 so it will be switched L2 from DC2 to DC1 if the traffic is intended to change networks....aka WWW.  With this setup, it will still be routing in and out of DC1.

But the overall goal is if DC1 has a catastrophic failure and if so the above scenario will not work.  So if DC1 goes down he wants to be able to used off-site backups to restore all the VMs in DC1 into DC2 and have them route out DC2.

fyi I am currently advertising DC1 and DC2 IPs via BGP in DC1 and DC2.  Based on his wants, I would need to have a default gateway for vlan2 in DC1 and DC2 at the same time and as two my knowledge it's not possible.

I have an Ideal but it doesn't seem all that great. Here is what I would do 

***note this is just an initial thought and would really need more time spent planning.  Just wanted to share my idea in hopes someone has a real solution.***

In DC2 I would IP SLA to monitor the status of DC1.  If DC1 suffers from a catastrophic failure then I would use EEM scripting on the core router in DC2 to configure DC1s vlans on it.

Someone, please tell me there is a better way 

Attached you will find one DC...they both are exactly the same

-WW

5 Replies 5

Hello

xconnect/pseudowire could be an option. Can you post a diagram of your topology ?

I posted my diagram of one DC they are both exactly the same.  LMK if you need anything else.

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Evpn/vxlan could be an option too. 

Wan_Whisperer
Level 1
Level 1

From what I read about Evpn/vxlan and xconnect/pseudowire they both great ideas for a flat vlan network.  The major issue I am having is the routing.  Is it possible to have the same default gateway at each data center?

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Yes it is. This command ensure that all routers use the same mac address "fabric forwarding anycast-gateway-mac 000a.000b.000c" and also instead of vrrp, you use the same ip address on user vlans on all routers. Then the first router the packet arrives to will do the forwarding lookup. When virtual servers moves from one datacenter to the other the same arp entries is used so no hickup because of wrong ip-arp entry.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card