Views
Helpful
Replies

I can't upload any file - need help in detecting problem

Wir3d-BGD
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am having few days battle with strange and annoying problem. I am hoping someone here can help me.

First of all - after all investigation I think problem is in my ADSL Router (Cisco DPC3928) and Internet provider, but they keep telling me they never heard of such problem and that it is still probably on my side. If I am unable to solve the problem here, I will have to go in personal to speak with them, and to request technical assistance.

Here is the problem:

Just suddenly, I can't upload any file on the internet. One day all was ok, tomorrow this occured: My Outlook attachments stop working, Gmail is unable to attach any file (progress bar stops after like 5-10% uploaded), FTP is not working, and even some local programs are unable to synchronise my local and server files (Perforce).

Perforce is for example reporting WSAECONNRESET error that means:

When there is a forced-close of a networking socket, Windows issues a "WSAECONNRESET" error. Regular occurrences of the error indicate possible network problems.

I have tried to upload files with antivirus turned off, and also Windows Firewall.

Also, I have disconnected internet cable from my main computer, and connect it on my second computer that has like 3 programs in total installed (render machine). Transfer doesnt work also.

Than I have disconnected all my hard drives (in case of virus or something), and I've booted Ubuntu Linux from my Flash drive.
I was unable to upload file on Dropbox again.

I have called my internet operater, and they said that most likelly problem is not on their side, and they never heard of such problem.

Router is Cisco DPC3928. I have reset router to default settings, but nothing changed.

I have finished one big project and have to upload like 3GB of files before I can get payed, so this is frustrating me so much.

Thank you all in advance for your time!

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To me it sounds like you've proven it's not a provider issue since you're able to upload files when in Linux. I would suggest booting into safe mode with networking in Windows to see if you can send files. If so, something is loading that's blocking your uploads. Also, what was the very last thing you changed in your comptuer? New software? Hardware? From what you've described, it sounds like a local computer issue. You could also try your same uploads on a different computer than the one that you're having a problem with...

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

No, as I've write I was unable to upload file on Linux also.

I also wrote that I have another machine that has like only 3 programs installed in total (it is used as rendering machine), and I've tried uploading from it also. No luck, files can't be uploaded from there as well.

Than I did Linux try, and I was NOT able to upload file on Dropbox.

But wierd part is that I was not able to google single similar problem, and it is really wierd.

I also have reset router to default state, even I havent touched any settings from until it is installed.

Problem just appeared from nowhere, nothing was installed or changed in the last month or more.

Do you have a certain site that you're "uploading" to, or is it random places? Have you tried to reboot your equipment? If nothing has changed, outgoing traffic should work like incoming traffic. With no protections in place (firewall, acls, etc.), you should be able to pass all traffic....

No, I have tried random uploads.

I can't upload 3-5MB JPG attachment on gmail (it just stops after 5-10% uploaded, and it says it failed to upload).

I can't use FTP to upload files on my web site.

I am not able to synchronise files on my Perforce account (that is hosted by company I am working for).

I am also unable to upload attachments in my usual Outlook mail.

I've rebooted equipment, computers, reseted router to default state, I even tried to attach another router between my computer and original one. Nothing helped. I have changed cable also.

Everything else is working normal - file downloading, online games etc.

It just looks like something detect file upload, and than terminate that process.
That is best explanation I can make with my network knowledge.

If some test come on your mind I would likelly do it if it brings more light to this situation.

I know I should be able to pass all traffic, but for some reason I am not.

I will call tomorrow my provider so can check if some strange router mailfunction is the problem, as I am without any options.

Having same problem on 2 different computers, and even on Linux OS is making router my main suspect.

I have just found similar topic:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1059428
but unfortunatelly guy hasn't give any more info than it was router problem.

Are you doing all of this wireless or wired? If you're on wireless, see if the same problem happens wired. You may be receiving interference from something and it could be disconnecting your wireless connection. Outside of that, good luck in finding an answer. I know it's frustrating when nothing makes sense. :)

You bet! Problem last for a few days, and I was hoping I will solve it over weekend... but no luck yet. =)

Thank you for your time!

I am doing all this wired.

Thing is I have to upload 3GB of files to company FTP before I get ok for last invoice, and it is not easy just to go to some other place and install needed program using password and such...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card