cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

i cannot retrieve an ip address from the dhcp server?

dparmar89
Level 1
Level 1

i am currently using packet tracer and have a WAN cloud with two routers attached to it which are configured with frame relay and can ping one another with one of them configured as a DHCP server. Pc's on the same LAN as the DHCP server can retrieve an ip address but pc's on the other LAN cannot get an ipaddress from the server. I am sure frame relay is configured correctly an also have a static route in place on the router not configured with DHCP.

Help please. let me know if more info is required.

29 Replies 29

i have nat setup on the BHam router and nat overload setup on the london router, so would i be able to keep the same subnets ?

i have nat setup on the BHam router and nat overload setup on the london router, so would i be able to keep the same subnets ?

With nat overload on both routers yes you can keep the same subnets but with a DHCP server  on each site

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

i have put a static route on the bimingham router to the london router and still not working

on birmingham do a sh ip route x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the IP you are pinging from. if you have an entry is it good? It must have next-hop as IP address of London router and it must be for the network from where you are pinging.

hi, having  a server on each network seems to be working well and the network as a whole seems fine but i do have two problems.

firstly none of the pc's or laptops can ping the actual server (not the dhcp router bu the server next to it) and also i have DNS on the server with the purpose of suppling the DNS address to all host via dhcp yet this doesn't work.  I believe that it could be the Birmingham router as all devices are able to reach this router.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Repost new pkt file.

Regards.

Alain.

hi, here is the file

Thanks

hi, I just got Bham LAN pc's, laptop and the laptop attahced to the dsl modem to all ping the server it was because i think it was because there was no default gateway set on the server. there is still a problem with the LON LAN and manchester LAN reaching the server and the problem i mentioned before about the DNS/DHCP

regards

Hi,

1) on your server you've got no default gateway ----> configure 192.168.0.3 as such

2) on ABC-London you must issue ip nat inside on every subinterfaces

3) pinging 172.16.0.4 will then work as well as http

Regards.

Alain.

hi, configured the ip nat inside on the sub interfaces and also put the default gateway on the server however noone of the machines receieve the DNS address via dhcp, but when i put the DNS address in manually it seems to work.

regards

Hi,

For DNS it seems the implementation in PT is somewhat buggy or imperfect.

You should try on real gear or use GNS3/Dynamips.

Regards.

Alain.

hi, i got the problems sorted however the manchester branch can't access the server i was thinking could this be because i have not configured frame relay on the router becuase the other two routers have frame relay configured

regards

dannil

yep you're right.

hi, just a question. i seem to be able to ping from one vlan to a completely different vlan which is strange becuase i have ports assigned to specific vlans. Some help please

Hi,

In same LAN if you've got inter vlan routing which you've got on your routers then you can ping between vlans.

Regards.

Alain.

You can ping between routers. Can you ping from the remote router using the source IP of the LAN interface ie.

remote router will have a WAN frame relay interface. It will also have a LAN interface (where you applied the ip helper-address command). Can you do an extended ping from the remote router using the source IP of the LAN interface and the destination IP being the one you used in the ip helper-address command.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card