cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I would like to set a WAN bandwidth limit on Cisco 3750 using VLANs.

yishaky_ub
Level 1
Level 1

here below is the layout....

1. Cisco 3650 is connected to the WAN link (10MB)

2. Cisco 3750 is connected to the Cisco 3650

3. Cisco 2960 is connected to the Cisco 3750

4. Two VLANs - VLAN - 5 and VLAN - 7 is configured on the Cisco 3750. All Vlan - 5 endpoint is connected on Cisco 2960.

So my demand is to set 3MB bandwidth from the WAN link for VLAN - 5 traffic. and the rest 7MB for VLAN -7 traffic

any assistance appreciated ...

21 Replies 21

josef.kokal
Level 1
Level 1

You should be able to accomplish this with a simple policy map as already asked in a post a few years ago.
https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11777146/limit-internet-bandwidth-vlan

Just limit the traffic for vlan5 to 3MBit and you should be good to go.

Hi

Thanks for the response 

I checked but i cann't configure service output policy on the interface as it is 3650 switch.

Any work around?

Not applicable

You should be able to apply 'service-policy output' on your physical interface of the 3650:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/qos/configuration_guide/b_qos_3se_3650_cg/b_qos_3se_3650_cg_chapter_011.html

Hi 

Still I can't able to configure 'service-policy output' on your physical interface of the 3650.

Any assistance appreciated

Hi,

I am still looking assistance on this ..any assistance appreciated.. 

Can you paste in what you're attempting to apply for the "service-policy output" command?

Hello

EDITED

class-map switchtrunks
match input-interface  x/x x/x    <---- these will be your trunk interfaces carrying vlan5/7

policy-map vlan5_child
class switchtrunks
police 3072000 96000 exceed-action drop

policy-map vlan7_child
class switchtrunks
police 7168000 224000 exceed-action drop

ip access-list extended 101
permit ip any any

policy-map vlan5_parent
class 101
set ip dscp af11   <--------------------change to you preference if applicable
service-policy vlan5_child

policy-map vlan7_parent
class 101
set ip dscp af11  <--------------------change to you preference if applicable
service-policy vlan7_child

interface Vlan5
service-policy input vlan5_parent

interface Vlan7
service-policy input vlan7_parent

int xx (trunk links with vlan5/7 traversing)
mls qos vlan-based

int x/x
description WAN
traffic-shape rate 10240000  ( 10mb link)

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul, I just want to understand what you did here.  Correct me if I'm wrong but you are limiting VLAN 5 to 3 Mbps while capping the entire WAN interface at 10 Mbps.  Thereby leaving VLAN 7 with the remaining bandwidth of 7 Mbps?  What's the need for mls qos vlan-based under the trunk interface.  I'm unfamiliar with the command.

Hello

What's the need for mls qos vlan-based under the trunk interface

my understanding is if you don't have a specific interface you can apply a service policy to regards your qos like a vlan then you can apply the service policy to the L3 of that vlan and then apply the mls qos vlan-based to the trunks that carry that specific vlan or/and the access-port of the same vlan

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul.  When adapting the configuration example I ran into a few items of interest.  Just pointing out where an IOS command is missing or should be changed.

Hello

Your correct that was a typo in fact i doubt you can apply the exceed-action if the conform isnt applied first anyway aprt from on switches, but the other way around.is applicable and exceed-action drop as I understand it default drop anyway.

Curious why you would prefer CAR over GTS and not CB shaping or Policing?

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

I mentioned "rate-limiting" because my virtual router wouldn't accept "traffic shape".  That's all.

Hello

Is that viral again? - if so it doesnt sound promising!

res
paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes, it's VIRL again.  I'm hoping the next release fixes the issues I've run into.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card