Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP session between Route Reflector Clients

mmelbourne
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I have a situation where two Nexus 7k boxes are running iBGP and contain a significant number of host routes which are present due to a migration from one platform to another, as well as to provide IP mobility to the downstream segments.

These devices now need to be integrated into upstream full-mesh routers. The intention is to configure the Nexus devices as rr-clients (the full-mesh routers being the route reflectors). There are two upstream full-mesh routers, and each Nexus 7k will have a link to each, and the rr-client configuration will follow the physical topology.

If the iBGP session between the Nexus devices is removed, then these host routes need to be carried up to full-mesh routers (which means they will be propagated to all full-mesh speakers). Ideally, I would like to advertise the only aggregates towards the RRs, but keep the host routes between the two Nexus devices which could be done by maintaining the iBGP session between the rr-clients. Is this recommended, or is there a better way?

Cheers,

Matt

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe that will work.

Another simple option, especially if this is for during a transition - create a brand new private ASN for the 7k's.  Super simple BGP configuration then.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card