cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Input & CRC Errors (New Cisco 1841 - WIC 1DSU-T1 V2)

smartin
Level 1
Level 1

For the past several months we have been testing a T1/MPLS connection at a remote site using a Cisco 1721 with a T1 DSU/CSU T1 (Model # WIC 1DSU T1). The test results have been great with access speeds & no errors.

This weekend I tried to replace the router with a new Cisco 1841 using a T1 DSU/CSU T1 (Model # WIC 1DSU-T1 V2).

When I installed the router I'm now seeing input & CRC errors (see image 1). I tried three different routers (all 1841 & DSU V2) and getting same results.

I believe this may be clock settings on the DSU (see image 2).

Can anyone help with this problem. Thanks.

23 Replies 23

Scott Adams
Level 1
Level 1

We have been having the same problem with the new V2 Cards in 2800 and 1800 series routers.. Did you ever get a fix for this.. We have been upgrading from 2600 and 3600 routers with V1 CSU to the new v2 cards and having all kinds of problems..

Did any of you got a solution to this problem ? I am having the same problem with a 2800. THe circuit works great on a 2524 with a old version integrated CSU/DSU card, but when i plug the circuit to the 2800, i get line code and path code violations. Both routers are configured identical. The latest version of code is running on the box. Will the wetting current help in fixing this problem...??

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

We have an open TAC ticket with Cisco to resolve this issue. I have shipped several of the New version 2 CSU cards to them for testing.. Will post any results..

I turns out that everyone of our cards (50 in all) WIC-IDSU-T1-V2 were bad. If you take a at the card everyone of the cards had a part# of 800-22193-01.

Cisco replaced them with 800-22193-02.

Are the new cards treating you better than the old ones..

Stephen,

So does the new revision helps at all ??

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Scott

I have a case open too, but they are talking about replacing the chassis, which I dont think will help!! If you do not mind, can you get me your case number, so that I can have my TAC engineer refer to that case ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Yes, when I replaced the cards the problem was corrected.

Our Tac Case # is 600805434...

Scott, might be a good idea to tell your buddy that other isues such as the required category wiring for anything above 56K NEEDS to be in place for any extended demarcs.

Scott Adams
Level 1
Level 1

This is what Cisco has found so far.. Looks like a quick fix might be to use cable pinned out with only 1,2 and 4,5.. don't use a full blown 4 pair cable..

Hi all,

I wanted to try to summaries what we are doing to try to achieve progress, forward momentum, resolution to the issues that you have been experiencing regarding the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2= module

01) We are able to recreate the failure condition consistently in a Cisco lab environment

02) This issue was simulated by connecting 2 "landcruiser" cards back to back with 3 unused connectors fused together - In this scenario we see no problem

03) We have identified a difference between how we terminate the unused pair between V1 and V2 card (which causes noise to be induced on the connector)

04) The working theory is that the failure is due to V2 card inducing noise on the receiver at the connector.

05) As soon as one end is open - we see the same type of errors as seen by SBC.

06) We are shipping reworked boards/ cables for use in testing

07) In addition to the above theories, Cisco is also investigating receiver noise immunity robust differences between V1 and V2. Engineering is reviewing the default setting on the V1 and V2. Cisco is working to also improve the framer firmware performance to mitigate this issue. Initial testing appears positive.

We are attempting to validate several possible fixes to this issue during the planned test window occurring on Friday 4 February.

Regarding the news forum thread provided by Roger, we can confirm that the only difference between Build of Materials pn#'s 80022193-01 and 80022193-02, is that

a label was added to 80022193-02. no other differences exist. Cisco's engineering team are working to investigate the statements made in the newsgroup discussion thread and will close this off shortly.

DETAIL OF WIC-1DSU-T1-V2= ISSUE RECREATION/THEORY:

Based on the report errors (LCV and PCV), engineering is able to repeat a specific scenario that could exist in the customer environment. This scenario is the combination of an incorrect wiring of the cable and the design of the V2.

Specifically, the V2 RJ45 connector connects unused pins (3, 6, and 7) together. If a straight through, 4-pair cable segment to the V2 is used such that differential signals are split among two pairs, one conductor of each pair, with the unused conductors wired through to the V2, the resultant end-to-end transmission is impaired. (more simply put, the V1 is robust against certain incorrectly wired scenarios using 4-pair cabling while the V2 is not.). At this point, it is too early to draw any conclusion. Engineering only has a working theory that we would to get the confirmation from the field. See attached test data.

Here follows a draft of the actions that are intended to occur on Friday

To test this theory, engineering has sent out two modified V2 cards and several special cables (pin3,6,7 disconnected). If the modified V2 works in the field, it would confirmed our theory. . Using the special cable on the production V2 has the same effect as the modified V2.

The special cable pin out is as followed

Pin 1 <--- twisted pair A ----> Pin 1

Pin 2 <--- twisted pair A ----> Pin 2

Pin 4 <--- twisted pair B -----> Pin 4

Pin 5 <--- twisted pair B ----> Pin 5

Great development...Is the above description a direct cut and paste from your tac case ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Yes, I will post the results of the testing we do with the cards cisco is sending us.. Looks like a fix may be to not use a full blown cable , just use one with pins 1,2 4,5..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card