cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Input Queue drops

fast5658659
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys I am having lot of input queue drops on one of our remote router which has got an ipsec protected gre tunnel towards our main branch

Input queue: 0/75/168173/8 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Throttle count         37
 Drops         RP    1770332         SP          0

This is the output of an interface connecting to ISP

The other thing I would like to mention here is we have some users who connects via cisco vpn client to other sites over an already established ipsec/gre tunnel so would that be a reason of having drops?

Do I need to alter the mtu for an additional gre overhead of second tunnel

Currently tunnel interface settings are

ip mtu 1476

ip tcp adjust-mss 1380

Many thanks

5 Replies 5

Hello.

Input queue drops might be a result of CPU overutilization and/or excessive traffic spikes.

Do you see the counter continuously increasing?

hello

i would say go ahead and apply the mtu settings also do you see any crc errors on the physical interface?

try setting the tunnel bw to that of the actual physical interface cir and also if you have qos running apply qos pre qualify 

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul thanks for your reply I don't see any crc errors on the physical interface nor I see any drops on the tunnel interface. drops are there only on the actual physical interface connecting to ISP. We are not running any QoS

I will try to lower the mtu value and see if it makes any difference

thanks

Hi Vasilii thanks for your comments CPU utilization is normal and there isn't any significant spikes in traffic as well when I reset the counters they start incrementing straight away. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Input queue drops can be an indication of process switching (which is unable to keep up with what's offered).

If it's just short bursts, increasing the input queue value might mitigate.

Have you reviewed Cisco's documents for troubleshooting this?

BTW, if your GRE tunnel is "protected", the MTU is likely too large as might also be your MSS adjust.

If you're just doing GRE, your MSS adjust is too small.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card