Views
Helpful
Replies

Inspect firewall on router with securityk9

ibasarif
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a question, is it better to put ip inspect firewall in on LAN interface or put it on interface facing internet with ip inspect firewall out?

Thank you 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ip inspect FW tcp router-traffic
ip inspect FW udp router-traffic
ip inspect FW icmp router-traffic
!
ip access-list extended OUTSIDE-IN
 permit tcp any host 192.0.2.10 eq 443
 permit udp any host 192.0.2.10 eq 443
deny ip any any log ! interface gig 0/1
description Interface to the Internet ip address 192.0.2.10 255.255.255.248 ip inspect FW out ip access-group OUTSIDE-IN in

In this example the outside interface allows TCP and UDP/443 for VPN but the ACL denies the rest. Connections initiated in the outbound direction enter the firewalls state-table and the answer-packets are also allowed in.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

I always put it on the internet-facing interface in the outgoing direction. That gives you the possibility to also inspect router-generated traffic like pinging to the internet for troubleshooting, sending NTP or DNS to the internet or registering the router with DynDNS (and so on):

Although much more complex, you should also familiarise yourself the the zone-based-firewall as CBAC (the "ip inspect" based firewall) is not supported any more in recent IOS-versions and platforms.

@Karsten Iwen 

Thank you for your reply, so I put the command on interface facing internet with:

IP inspect firewall out

and create a standard ACL to protect incoming traffic with deny any any

Please confirm if this is the correct settings

Thank you

I would directly use an extended ACL instead of a standard ACL. That way you are prepared in case you want to allow incoming connections with more flexibility.

@Karsten Iwen 

Thank you, if you don't mind would like to give me a really short and good example for extended ACL that can protect inside network and where to apply it please?

Thank you again

!
ip access-list extended OUTSIDE-IN
 permit tcp any host 192.0.2.10 eq 443
 permit udp any host 192.0.2.10 eq 443
deny ip any any log ! interface gig 0/1
description Interface to the Internet ip address 192.0.2.10 255.255.255.248 ip inspect FW out ip access-group OUTSIDE-IN in

In this example the outside interface allows TCP and UDP/443 for VPN but the ACL denies the rest. Connections initiated in the outbound direction enter the firewalls state-table and the answer-packets are also allowed in.

@Karsten Iwen 

Thank you so much! this is very helpful, much appreciated. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card