Replies

INTER-VLANROUTING-CISCO2620- IN THE SUB-IF MODE-ENCAPSULATION CMD NOT FOUND

shahul-hameed
Level 1
Level 1

c2600(config)#int fastEthernet 0/0

c2600(config-if)#no shut

Hi,

can anybody plz help me in providing the solution for the following.Down below is the configuration i have to do for inter-vlan routing in the cisco 2620 series.But when i entered the sub-if mode for the fast ethernet interface iam not able to find the encapsulation command there.My IOS version is 12.1(5)T10.I hope this IOS supports.If suppose this IOS doen't support plz tell me which is the IOS that supports encapsulation isl.Or if this IOS supports what i have to do to get the encapsulation command there in the sub-interface.(i mean that now the encapsulation command is not supported in the sub-if mode).

c2600(config-if)#exit

c2600(config)#int fastEthernet 0/0.1

c2600(config-subif)#encapsulation isl 1

c2600(config-subif)#ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

c2600(config-subif)#exit

c2600(config)#int fastEthernet 0/0.2

c2600(config-subif)#encapsulation isl 2

Iam using catalyst2900XL & cisco2620 Router.for intervlan routing.

Your earlier response will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Shahul

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Shahul. Your configuration is definitely supported in the 2620. But the IOS feature set should be IP Plus. Paste a sh version output in your next post. You are probably running IP Only feature set.

Your software version 12.1.5T definitely supports dot1q (not sure about ISL) according to this link on the 2620.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html

So I bet its either the feature set or, try

encapsulation dot1q command instead of isl.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi Shanky,

Thankyou verymuch for your response.Sorry for the late reply.I have attached the out put of

SHOW VERSION

SHOW RUNNING-CONFIG

SHOW INT FASTETHERNET 0/0.1

You can see that the command encapsulation is not find out there in the attached document.So in this case whats the solution.I think we ahve to upgrade the ios - what do you think.Will the ios c2600-i-mz.123-6e be the solution for the problem if this ios been upgraded.Please help me.

Your IOS needs to be IP Plus feature set. What you have is IP only version.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Hi Shanky,

Thankyou verymuch for the information.But how to check whether it supports ip or ip +.Can you please tell me that where to see these details in the show version.

Regards,

Shahul

Look at the section in sh version that says,

c2600-i-mz.123-6e (which is the IOS file name).

IP only will be c2600-i-mz

IP Plus will be c2600-is-mz (See the extra "s")

For other feature sets, there are different alphabets used. For example.

ENterprise version will be c2600-j-mz

Enterprise plus will be c2600-js-mz

and so on.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Hi Shanky,

Thankyou very much.The ipplus feature ios is c2600-is-mz.12.0-5.T (32/8) .But the is not there now in cisco ios software.This has been deferred.Can you help me.If you have the image can you send this for me as the memory in my router is 32/8 only.Thats why iam not able to upgrade to the latest version.

Awaiting for the ios .

Regards,

Shahul

See if you can find the a higher version of IOS which requires only 32mb and 8 mb flash. If the IOS is not available for download, you can call tac to see if they have that version in their archives. 12.05 is a very old IOS, and its probably deferred by now.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card