cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Clockrate

donchisel
Level 1
Level 1

During the days of 11.x and 12.0 IOS, i used to figure out the my service provider bandwith on a simple serial link by issuing the <sh controller ser x/y> command, and reading the clockrate figures. These days i am having it though with the 12.3+ versions. Any clue on the way out.

Attached is an example of the kind of output i recieve now. The point is that the link is slow and my manager needs to know what is happening.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You device has a serial port so whatever bandwidth is reflected there does not represent the bandwidth being contracted by the ISP.

This serial connection is attached to a CSU/DSU. The CSU/DSU contains the number of channels allocated for this WAN connection. By adding the number of channels, you can find out the contracted provider bandwidth.

If you want to troubleshoot slowness from the router w/o getting into the CSU/DSU, just observe the show interface s1/0 output for number of input/output packets. You can also deploy NetFlow to determine what device(s) are consuming most of the bandwidth.

HTH,

__

Edison.

The CSU/DSU in this case is embeded in 2 satellite modems, which connects the two ends of the link. Each modem terminates directly on the routers at both ends. The toplogy is a simple point to point connection, just like two radios facing eachother.

I just need to know the Bandwidth transversing the satellite link since i do not have access to the satellite modems.

If i do, i would have simply checked the data rates.

I just need to know the Bandwidth transversing the satellite link since i do not have access to the satellite modems.

You can find out the amount of bandwidth traversing the link at this moment with the show interface s1/0 command.

If you want to know the limit, you need to stress the line until drops are shown. Once you notice the drops, you've reached the limit.

All that information is provided via the show interface s1/0

HTH,

__

Edison.

That's if i have realtime traffic transversing the link.

At this point traffice hass been re-routed via another link, and i wish to see the rate at which the service provider DCEs is clocking my DTEs.

That would tell me the Bandwidth for which there link has been set.

My point is to know wether there is a new command to display what clock rate a DTE interface receives from a DCE device.

The clock rate can only be seen on the DCE side.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: