Views
Helpful
Replies

interface dialer on a layer 3 switch

adi_shakarchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to establish a interface dialer on a layar 3 switch?
Or is it only interface for routers?

I have a c3750 switch (WS-C3750G-24T), and when i try to establish a dialer interface i get an error message:

Switch(config)#interface dialer 0
                         ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Adi,

a dialer interface is used for PPP or PPPoX (PPPoE, PPPoA and so on) access so it is not likely a multilayer switch supports it as they are considered WAN features supported on SW based routers like ISR, ISR G2

Only PPPoE client could be supported on a multilayer switch but again is seen as a WAN feature.

ISR routers support PPPoE client and also PPPoE server side I tested it on C3725, C3745 for example

you could try to use feature navigator at

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

search by feature

digit PPPoE in filter by field

select PPPoE client among listed features  press "add" to put in on the right column  and then press "continue" all on  the right

to find supporting platforms you will see that almost all listed devices for IOS are routers

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Adi,

a dialer interface is used for PPP or PPPoX (PPPoE, PPPoA and so on) access so it is not likely a multilayer switch supports it as they are considered WAN features supported on SW based routers like ISR, ISR G2

Only PPPoE client could be supported on a multilayer switch but again is seen as a WAN feature.

ISR routers support PPPoE client and also PPPoE server side I tested it on C3725, C3745 for example

you could try to use feature navigator at

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

search by feature

digit PPPoE in filter by field

select PPPoE client among listed features  press "add" to put in on the right column  and then press "continue" all on  the right

to find supporting platforms you will see that almost all listed devices for IOS are routers

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for your fast answer.

I looked at the link you attached, and i saw that 3750 not support pppoe at all, and no matter what IOS version or license.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: