Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Module shows up in Sh Inventory, but No Interface in Config

Lucas Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Hardware - Cisco 2901 Router

I've got two HWIC-1FE modules installed in the router, along with a VIC2-4FXO voice card.  Both HWIC-1FE modules show up in the 'Show inventory', but only one shows up when I do 'Sh IP Int Brief'

Any thoughts on why I can't utilize the other HWIC interface?  Limitation of the 2901?  Bad Card?

My Outputs for 'sh inventory' and 'sh ip int brief' are below

SHOW INVENTORY:

NAME: "CISCO2901/K9", DESCR: "CISCO2901/K9 chassis, Hw Serial#: FCZ1704C29C, Hw Revision: 1.0" PID: CISCO2901/K9 , VID: V06 , SN: FCZ1704C29C

NAME: "One-Port Fast Ethernet High Speed WAN Interface Card on Slot 0 SubSlot 0", DESCR: "One-Port Fast Ethernet High Speed WAN Interface Card" PID: HWIC-1FE , VID: V02 , SN: FOC15445T75

NAME: "2nd generation four port FXO voice interface daughtercard on Slot 0 SubSlot 1", DESCR: "2nd generation four port FXO voice interface daughtercard"PID: VIC2-4FXO , VID: V01 , SN: FOC102910U9

NAME: "One-Port Fast Ethernet High Speed WAN Interface Card on Slot 0 SubSlot 3", DESCR: "One-Port Fast Ethernet High Speed WAN Interface Card"PID: HWIC-1FE , VID: V01 , SN: FOC11165YU0

NAME: "PVDM3 DSP DIMM with 16 Channels on Slot 0 SubSlot 4", DESCR: "PVDM3 DSP DIMM with 16 Channels"PID: PVDM3-16 , VID: V01 , SN: FOC16524LFW

NAME: "C1941/C2901 AC Power Supply", DESCR: "C1941/C2901 AC Power Supply"
PID: PWR-1941-2901-AC , VID: , SN:

SHOW IP INTERFACE BRIEF:

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
Embedded-Service-Engine0/0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down
GigabitEthernet0/0 172.16.99.201 YES NVRAM up up
GigabitEthernet0/0.1 192.168.99.201 YES NVRAM up up
GigabitEthernet0/1 12.34.56.78 YES NVRAM up up
FastEthernet0/3/0 10.20.30.1 YES NVRAM up up
NVI0 172.16.51.201 YES unset up up
Tunnel0 10.0.0.51 YES NVRAM up up
Tunnel3 10.0.2.51 YES NVRAM up up

7 Replies 7

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lucas,

This is strange - the 2901 platform should support 2 of these HWIC-1FE cards.

May I ask you for the following?

1. Can you post the complete output of show logging - ideally a fresh one gathered right after the router reloads?
  2. Can you also post the complete output of show diag?
  3. Would there be any change if you moved the unrecognized HWIC-1FE from Slot 0 into Slot 2?

Please let us know. Thanks!

Best regards,
Peter

1) Show Logging -- I'll try to capture tonight.

2) Show Diag - Attached.

3) I've already changed the card from one slot to another and no change in usability.

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the additional show diag output. I do not see anything out of the ordinary in there, but one thing did catch my attention: For Slot 0 which is the motherboard itself, the show diag says:

Port adapter insertion time 8w5d ago

This would mean that the router has had an uptime of 8w5d at the time you gathered the output. Would this be correct? If so, is it possible that you have tried to install the HWIC-1FE module into the router without reloading it? The reason I am asking is that the 2900 routers do not support online insertion and removal of modules - if you want to add or remove a module, you need to power down the device, perform the change, and then boot it up again.

Best regards,
Peter

Good eye Peter, but that uptime is actually when the card was installed.  It was installed while powered down, I simply have gotten busy with other projects and just now been able to get back to address this.  

Hi Lucas,

Oh, I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Any luck with gathering the "show logging"? Please note that I would be very interested in seeing especially the initial startup messages - I really need to understand if the IOS did recognize the card during the boot, and whether it has logged any reason for not working with it.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Peter

Is there any way to capture this startup info if I SSH into the router?  I'm assuming not, since I need to wait for the VPN to come up first.  Was curious if I could somehow log it to a file on flash and then retrieve the file.

-Lucas

Lucas

I believe that the messages generated during the boot process are sent only to the console. So I do not know of any way to see those messages directly if your connection to the router is based on VPN and SSH. Would it be possible to have some PC at the site connect to the console using some terminal emulation software? Many of the terminal emulation software products have the capability to write their output to a file which may allow you to capture the console messages from the boot process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card