Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Slots and Service Module Slots

biplobkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Cisco 1900 , 2900 and 3900 have Interface Slots and Service Module Slots , My question is which type of card is support this slot.

Difference between this two slots ??? can anyone imple explain ?

Regards

Biplob

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

sean.cross
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Service Module Slots are used for router modules that run specific services that could be either Cisco proprietory or third party applications. These modules have their own processors, memory etc and don't use any of the router's resources.

The new Gen2 ISR's use the Enhanced version of SFP and copper GE interfaces to provide connectivity for high speed uplinks.

Please have a look at the link below for more information. On this page have a look a the link for Cisco Supported and Unsupported Modules for Integrated Services Routers. This document provides some very useful information for the 3900 series.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10536/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#newmod

I hope this helps.

Regards

Sean

View solution in original post

Network Module slot is different than the on board WIC/HWIC slots. As SM,NM's have the specific hardware to support some services like onboard PVDM for voice support. Your E1 interface can go either on NM'S module or onboard WIC slot depending upon which E1 module you have selected.these voice E1 modules are supported both on NM'S and WIC slots.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sean.cross
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Service Module Slots are used for router modules that run specific services that could be either Cisco proprietory or third party applications. These modules have their own processors, memory etc and don't use any of the router's resources.

The new Gen2 ISR's use the Enhanced version of SFP and copper GE interfaces to provide connectivity for high speed uplinks.

Please have a look at the link below for more information. On this page have a look a the link for Cisco Supported and Unsupported Modules for Integrated Services Routers. This document provides some very useful information for the 3900 series.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10536/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#newmod

I hope this helps.

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean

Good morning. Now Its clear to me. A lot of thanks. As my understand IPS or SCM module is Service Module and Etherent, NM module is Interface card. 

So Voice Module is Service module or Interface module ?. If anyone choose 4 Port Voice Card then It install in service module slot or interface Slot ???

2. What is ISM Sl and PVDM Slot

Thanks

Biplob

Hi,

The 4 port voice card will be installed in the NM slot at the back of the router.

An Integrated Service Modules (ISMs) and Packet Voice and Video Digital Signal Processor Module (PVDM) are installed on internal motherboard slots in the router.

ISM Installation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2900/hardware/installation/guide/Internal_Modules.html#wp1097074

PVDM Installation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2900/hardware/installation/guide/Internal_Modules.html#wp1055143

Regards

Sean

Hi

NM slot is differnent ? NM slot only for Voice card ?. if any one want E1 card then which slot it will be installed  ?

Regards

Biplob

Network Module slot is different than the on board WIC/HWIC slots. As SM,NM's have the specific hardware to support some services like onboard PVDM for voice support. Your E1 interface can go either on NM'S module or onboard WIC slot depending upon which E1 module you have selected.these voice E1 modules are supported both on NM'S and WIC slots.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HI

From Previous conversation I am understand EHWIC and Service Module Card and now understand NM is different module.  One port or two port E1 installed in WIC slot.

My question is: In Product Reference Guide I have found

3945E  --- Have 3 EHWIC , 4 Service Module,  0 ISM Module and 3 PVDM , 3 DSP SLot

3925    --- Have 4 EHWIC , 2 Service Module , 1 ISM Module and 4 PVDM , 4 DSP Slot

Question:

1. What is benefit of ISM ? when customer need ISM ? why not ISM slot in 3945E ?

2. By default PVDM slot is empty ? if customer chhose for Voice license then how many PVDM come with slot ?

3. 3945 E and 3925 have 3 and 4 DSP Slots by default how many DSP comes with and if customer want more DSP then its load separetly ?

Regards

Biplob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card