Helpful
Replies

Interface status on router.. ???

Muhammad Azhar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have cisco router 887VA.

Question is when i connect that WAN port ( eth0) with any switch or laptop/pc  i do not see the port in up state. What can be the reason.

I have done  "no shutdown "  on interface level and there is no configuration on interface except the IP address , but it show  " up   down "state even the port is connected to some device. ( Is the port is faulty or some other reason).

As per my concept it should show up state when we connect to some device ( Like router / switch / laptop)...

please look at blow link  (  Table 1. Cisco 880VA Series Data Models ) ... and please let me know what is the meaning of  

WAN interface : Multimode VDSL2/ ADSL2 and 2+ over ISDN

( Is that can be used as regular L3/ routing port or not )

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78-613481.html

Regards

5 Replies 5

Hello Muhammad Azhar,

Can you please put the command "encapsulation ppp" and check the status of the port, this is just for checking purpose.

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

I have the following configuraiton on eth0...

int eth0

des DSL WAN interface

no ip add

no ip redirects

no ip unrea

no ip proxy-arp

no cdp enabl

no ip mroute-cache

pppoe enable

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

no sh

exit

I have try with default configuration of eth0 as well , but interface show the same status ... .up   down...

Hello

Can you post the whole config of the router ?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Jose Bogantes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Muhammad,

I  am afraid to mention that this will never work. If you want to connect  your router to a switch or a laptop please use any of the switchports  (any FastEthernet interface). Remember that this is a VA router because  it supports Multimode DSL (VDSL2 and ADSL2 and 2+) over a basic telephone system.  This type of router supports just VDSL2   and ADSL2+ on a single WAN  interface and this could be confusing sometimes. In other words, this  Ethernet0 is merely a WAN interface and will be up up just if it is  connected to a VDSL2 or ADSL2+ circuit. For that reason, it is not  working at all for you.

Regards.

Good finding.

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card