Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface tracking

James Hoggard
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please can someone confirm what the following does.

track 1 interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0.1101 line-protocol
ip route vrf V411:test 10.12.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.9.1.10 name test track 1

will this take the static route out of the routing table if interface gig0/0/0.1101 goes down?

i thought the static route will still be removed if the interface goes down?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If that's the only interface that route is accessible through, then there really is no point. Many times, the route could be learned from a dynamic routing protocol, but you'd rather use the static first. I have some in this scenario where I use a static route if a loopback is up, but I also learn that route via bgp from another source. I'd rather use the static first, but if the loopback is to go down I want to use the bgp route. My situation is a little different though because I'm pinging through a vpn tunnel to this loopback which means that my route would always be up unless my next hop (which is local to the core switch) were to go down. I track the ping in sla and then track that. My static route points to the track, and when it goes down I can then use the route that's in the bgp table.

So in your example, if the interface goes down and it doesn't have any other way to the route, then the route will leave the routing table. If for some reason, you were want to track the route on the other side of the gateway, I would use sla and track that to verify that the route is up by some other means should the 10.9.1.10 address always be up. Does that make sense?

Sorry for my short response above...I was doing that from my phone...

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It should take it out if the interface goes down...

hth,

john

If the interface goes down the static route should be automatically removed from the routing table correct? so what is the point in the above command?

If that's the only interface that route is accessible through, then there really is no point. Many times, the route could be learned from a dynamic routing protocol, but you'd rather use the static first. I have some in this scenario where I use a static route if a loopback is up, but I also learn that route via bgp from another source. I'd rather use the static first, but if the loopback is to go down I want to use the bgp route. My situation is a little different though because I'm pinging through a vpn tunnel to this loopback which means that my route would always be up unless my next hop (which is local to the core switch) were to go down. I track the ping in sla and then track that. My static route points to the track, and when it goes down I can then use the route that's in the bgp table.

So in your example, if the interface goes down and it doesn't have any other way to the route, then the route will leave the routing table. If for some reason, you were want to track the route on the other side of the gateway, I would use sla and track that to verify that the route is up by some other means should the 10.9.1.10 address always be up. Does that make sense?

Sorry for my short response above...I was doing that from my phone...

HTH,

John

that makes sense thanks for the quick response.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card