cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet failover/ BGP/WAN

mustafa.s.raza
Level 1
Level 1

The client has two sites, each site with Internet and MPLS circuits and routers.I have a quick question on inbound failover practice and recommended way to failover.

If the ISP fails at primary site and the traffic goes to secondary site over the MPLs out to outbound internet, this is good for outbound Internet traffic. What happen for the incoming traffic? What should we do so if the servers are located in Primary and Secondary site which needed to access by clients. Basically I am asking how to take Care of the incoming traffic to secondary site in the event connection- Internet fails at the main site.

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

both

Example

Site2 avdertise x.x.x.x ---> MPLS WAN -----> site1 pass the advertised route x.x.x.x with longer AS_PTH--->ISP

site2 advertise x.x.x.x---->local ISP link

hope this help

pls rate the helpful posts

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mustafa,

i think i didn't come back to you in your other post about this question

ok in brief you need to speak to your ISP to allow you advertise your site 2 network/public range over site 1 Internet link

use some bgp polices such as AS_Path to make the route of site2 over the local internet with shorter AS_path to make sure this link will be used as the primary link for inbound traffic

once this link gose down the other link on site1 will be used for inbound  all the way over the MPLS to site2

hope this help

Hi Mustafa,

What type of physical setup you have.

Is both primary and secondary link getting terminated on same router ?

If YES, then I suggest you to use conditional advertisement feature of BGP.

If NO, then AS-PATH prepending is your solution.

Regards,

Smitesh

mustafa.s.raza
Level 1
Level 1

Separate routers for each circuit

Thanks for the info

mustafa.s.raza
Level 1
Level 1

Did you mean advertise ip range on bgp with isp or in general? I needed to know simplest way to ask the question to ISP . Believe it or not ISP engineers like to hear the stuff the only know or have knowledge of

Thanks

both

Example

Site2 avdertise x.x.x.x ---> MPLS WAN -----> site1 pass the advertised route x.x.x.x with longer AS_PTH--->ISP

site2 advertise x.x.x.x---->local ISP link

hope this help

pls rate the helpful posts

Yea it help

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card