Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Load Balancing

Hello,

I want to load balance my Internet traffic between two ASR 1001 routers that are connected to our core switches.  Both routers are connected to the same ISP (Comcast) going to the same BGP AS on different /30 subnets.  Is there a way for me to load balance my Internet traffic using both connections with BGP rather than having one of these connections sitting idle?  If not, the only solution I see is to configure my layer 3 devices to split internet traffic between both routers (i.e. default routes with same AD).

6 Replies 6

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Do you receive same prefixes on both links?

If yes, you can try to configure multipath for BGP to load balance.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t11/feature/guide/ft11bmpl.html

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Yes, both prefixes are /30.  We have a /24 for our public address space in which a range of it is used for dynamic NAT to get users out to the Internet.  So what you're saying is that I should be able to configure multipath BGP for my given situation?

Do you receive from ISP only default route, partial BGP table or full? Do you receive same prefixes on both links?

It would be helpful to post topology to have better idea about your scenario.

Sorry for a late response, my priority shifted to our wireless project.  At this time, I'm going to put this topic on the back burner.  But to answer your question, we're only receiving partial updates from the ISP.  The direction I may go is to have the ISP send us the default route only and continue to keep the 2nd connection as a back up since we have 2 ASAs in Active/Standy where one ASA is connected to the primary Internet connection and the 2nd ASA is connected to the backup Internet connection.

The other thing I may do is determine if there are specific outside vendors/partners that access our Internet presence Web systems and perhaps have the ISP send partial routes based on those networks.  But I'll figure that out at a later time.  Thanks!

you are welcome and good luck with your projects.

Best Regards

Please rate helpful posts

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If the ASRs support PfR, that might be the best method for outbound load balancing.  Inbound load balancing would depend much on the cooperation of your ISP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card