Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS in Catalyst 6500 is not loading

I'm desperate: Two days ago, a brilliant guy inserted a different ios in a Cisco Catalyst 6500 and erased the original ios. I have twice downloaded the original ios by xmodem (too much time!) and both of them, when I reload the 6500, it doesn't work: I have the following message:

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0
boot:cannot load "bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF11.bin"

Second time, when the ios uploaded, I checked the sup-bootdisk: and the flashboot: and both have the wrong ios listed, but it wasn't there: I've tried to delete it and squeeze it, but had a message saying "can't delete because the ios is not there" or something like this. I finished formating both (flashboot: and sup-bootdisk:), tftp the ios, double-checked the bootloader, compared with other identical 6500 and reloaded again, just to find the same message I've written before.

Supervisor 720 PFC3B. Slots for disk0 and disk1 are broken or I can't read them from the rommon. Any idea?

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0

Means that the file you're uploading is either corrupt or not complete.  Re-download the IOS from the Cisco website and try again.

Supervisor 720 PFC3B. Slots for disk0 and disk1 are broken or I can't read them from the rommon.

Got a better idea!  RMA the Sup720 blade.

Well, the ios is the same I've downloaded twice with the xmodem and it runs very nice, everything goes wrong when I reload the catalyst. I've checked another 6500 (identical) and looks like it has the ios compressed. Do I have to compress it too? I've checked the size in the tftp server and has the same lenght.

Sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean with RMA the sup720. Remove, Melt and Annihilate? It's the only thing I want to do right now... :-)

Sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean with RMA the sup720. Remove, Melt and Annihilate?

RMA stands for Return to Manafacturer's Agreement.

Contact Cisco TAC and get them to replace the Supervisor card.  It's faulty.

OK. But, before RMA, is there any other idea?

Well, the ios is the same I've downloaded twice with the xmodem and it runs very nice,

What do you mean by "it runs very nice"?

I mean, I have downloaded the ios by xmodem and it loads correctly. If I don't reload the catalyst, I can configure it and work with it. The crash comes when I reload the catalyst.

RMA your card.

Why would you RMA the module when it worked before. What was changed, the IOS or the SUP module?

You probably not loading the IOS correctly....I wouldnt trust xmodem.

Try and configure a point to point ip on the device and tftp or something, might be faster.

Just another suggestion.

Well, I don't like the xmodem to much, too, but it's the only way to do something with the catalyst.

When I've finished the xmodem download, I made a tftp download in both ocasions, but I still have the problem when I reload it.

The sup720 wasn't changed, only the ios. But I replaced it with the original and it doesn't load at the beginning. Looks like a bad rommon configuration, but I don't know what it could be.

Checking the sup-bootdisk:, it says

1 -rw- 3722 May 6 2011 00:40:58 + 00:00 s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF11.bin

I think it has to have an -rwx and the "x" is missing, am I right? How I do it?

OK, guys, everything OK right now. Thanks for your support.

After the last xmodem download, I put the other sup-720 as slave and I discovered the ios in the sup-bootdisk was different in size than the other one. I don't know why, I've checked twice yesterday before the reload but it doesn't work.

So, I've copied the ios from the slavesup-bootdisk to the sup-bootdisk and reload again and it's working fine.

Thanks again and best regards,

Jose Andres.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card