Helpful
Replies

IP SLA but need more lookup.

ciscoamit_497
Level 1
Level 1

Friends here is scenario,

Suppose I have connectivity between CE and PE through a Gig Circuit like below

CE-------------------------------------------PE And bgp is configured on both ends but there is also a secondary CE and that is connected to other PE with other WAN link and HSRP running on both CEs for failover and below is the configuration that I have carried for making it successful.

track 10 rtr 10

delay down 5 up 25

!

ip sla 10

icmp-echo 10.200.106.137 source-ip 10.200.106.138  request-data-size 100 ip sla schedule 10 life forever start-time now ageout 3600

And I have called track 10 in standby. Now when I have shutdown the WAN interface failover happened successfully but when I have shutdown the BGP nothing happened, I mean no failover becoz both PE and CE has direct conenctivity and in that case ip sla is able to ping the PE address even in case of bgp down.

Now please advise me a resolution for this. I mean, failover should be happen or takeplace whenever bgp naighbor will go down even in case of circuit will remain stay stable and the CE to PE even have the reachability.

Thanks in Advance.

3 Replies 3

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You have two options:

1. You could ping any other public IP in case of failure internal Internet connectivity in ISP. I'm supposing they are two different ISPs.

2. If you are receiving from PEs BGP neighbors only a default route, then you could redistribute it to internal routing protocol. If you are running one. Then you could track it(default route from ISPs) also and use it in HSRP peers for tracking. Combined with IP SLA icmp-echo track.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

Abzal,

Your solution not work, I already went through this kind of implementation but that is effective in some manner.

I am looking for something much better than this and stable.

Still waiting for right answer.

Regards,

Amit

I really like Ivan Pepalnjaks solution to 'do something' when a BGP peer goes down or up using EEM. So you could add or remove routes based on BGP peer event.

event manager applet BGP_A_Up
event syslog pattern "BGP-5-ADJCHANGE.*10.0.7.2 Up"
action 1.0 cli command "enable"
action 1.1 cli command "configure terminal"
action 1.2 cli command "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.7.2"
action 2.0 syslog msg "Primary BGP peer available"
event manager applet BGP_A_Down
event syslog pattern "BGP-5-ADJCHANGE.*10.0.7.2 Down"
action 1.0 cli command "enable"
action 1.1 cli command "configure terminal"
action 1.2 cli command "no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.7.2"
action 2.0 syslog msg "Primary BGP peer lost"

I'm thinking you could change the above to adjust the HSRP priority value based on the event - pre-empt would have to be enabled.

http://blog.ioshints.info/2008/01/configure-default-route-based-on.html

Regards

Stephen

==========================
http://www.rConfig.com 

A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs!

- Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card