cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA Faiover scenario

Kaushik Ray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I have to create a setup where it will look like the following: RTR1 has two links to RTR2 and RTR3; the Red link is primary and blue one is failover. Want to create an IP SLA scenario using DR to RTR2 and RTR3. One thing wanted to ask is on RTR2 and RTR3 there will be static routes to the same LAN on the RTR1; do i need two static routes on RTR2 and RTR3 both with default metric and the failover static route will only come into play when the main link fails or do i need to create the static route on RTR3 with the same metric as the Default route metric i put on the RTR1 and higher than the default static route metric on RTR2?

Please let me know.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay, that makes more sense.

RTR1 would use a higher AD (what you are calling metric) for the route via RTR3 so it will only be used if your tracking via RTR2 fails.

RTR2 and RTR3 should both just have a static route for the LAN subnet.

There should be no need to use modify the AD on the static route on RTR3.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One thing wanted to ask is on RTR2 and RTR3 there will be static routes to the same LAN on the RTR1; do i need two static routes on RTR2 and RTR3 both with default metric and the failover static route will only come into play when the main link fails

Not sure I understand.

Why would you need two static routes on either RTR2 or RTR3 and how would the next hops be different as there is only one connection from each router ?

What exactly are you trying to do ?

Jon

Thanks Jon for your reply.

Actually I wanted to say: the static route on R2 should be

ip route [target network] [subnet mask] [next hop IP address on R1]

Should the static route on the R3 be similar or the following

ip route [target network] [subnet mask] [next hop IP address on R1] [metric]

I am trying to setup so that R1 has an IP SLA running so that when the primary link to R2 is down it fails over to secondary link to R3 so I would believe it R1 will have two default routes:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [next hop IP address on R2] track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [next hop IP address on R3] [metric]

Just whether it would need a metric on the static route on R3 as well?

Please let me know if I have been able to explain myself properly.

Okay, that makes more sense.

RTR1 would use a higher AD (what you are calling metric) for the route via RTR3 so it will only be used if your tracking via RTR2 fails.

RTR2 and RTR3 should both just have a static route for the LAN subnet.

There should be no need to use modify the AD on the static route on RTR3.

Jon

Thanks Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card